Midline Congenital Upper Lip Sinus: A Rare Case
- 5 Downloads
To present a rare case of a midline congenital upper lip sinus and its management. Background: A lip sinus is a rare condition, where a failure of the complete union during early stages of development leads to its formation. The prevalence of lower lip sinus is estimated to be about 0.00001% of the white population and that of upper lip sinus is even rarer. A congenital lip sinus maybe associated with syndromes such as; Von der Woude syndrome, or maybe present in isolation. A 25-year-old male presented to our clinic with intermittent swelling in the upper lip region. Clinical examination revealed a congenital midline lip sinus in the upper lip region, which had no intra-oral communication, and was managed by surgical excision. Till date, there has been a hand full of case reports of upper lip sinuses and fistulae, out of which only few are reported in India. We herein report a case of congenital upper lip sinus presenting as an intermittent swelling of the upper lip with its successful surgical management.
KeywordsCongenital Lip sinus Midline Upper lip pit
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Rajendran A, Sundaram S (2014) Shafer’s textbook of oral pathology, 7th edn. Elsevier Health Sciences APAC, Chatswood, pp 16–17. ISBN 978-81-312-3800-4Google Scholar
- 2.McKusick VA (1986) Commissural lip pits. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM). https://www.omim.org/entry/120500. Acessed 30 April 2018
- 4.Rapini RP, Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL (2007) Dermatology: 2—Volume set. Mosby, St. Louis. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0Google Scholar
- 10.Parcelier A, Lacoste A (1914) Fistule congenitale de la levre superieure. Arch Gen Chir Paris 8:292Google Scholar
- 11.Feurer G (1893) Angeborene oberlippenfistel. Arch Klin Chir 46:35Google Scholar
- 25.Raibagkar S, Vyas UH (1986) Lateral congenital sinus of the upper lip. Indian J Plast Surg 19:50–52Google Scholar
- 34.Lee TJ, Bin CW, Koh CS (2003) Congenital sinus of upper lip. J Korean Cleft Palate Craniofac Assoc 4:45Google Scholar