Building renovation: the sustainable path to improving energy security in Central and South-Eastern Europe
Security of gas supply is a political issue of considerable importance in the CESEC region (CESEC comprises the following countries: Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Macedonia, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine) identified as being the only region in Europe with a significant gas security issue in the event of an interruption of supply through Ukraine. Whilst the Security of Gas Supply Regulation aims to ensure deliveries of gas to protected consumers (i.e. households), its operation in a real crisis is uncertain. Consumers, including business and public sector buildings not covered by the regulation, would not be able to rely on it to meet their heating needs in case of a serious supply disruption, as has been witnessed in recent years when supplies from Russia to Ukraine were cut. Therefore, options to mitigate the gas supply risk through demand management need to be seriously explored. Among these are the deep renovation of buildings currently heated by gas, and fuel switching to other energy sources for such buildings. The aim of the paper is to assess the vulnerability of the building sector to gas supply interruptions, the impact of energy efficiency infrastructure upgrades to the building stock of the region and also the availability of funding for demand-side measures, such as building renovation.
KeywordsEnergy security Gas Building renovation Building stock vulnerability indicator Funding streams Cohesion policy funds Energy poverty CESEC
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- BPIE, 2016. Safeguarding energy security in South-East Europe with investments in demand-side infrastructure, Available: http://bpie.eu/publication/safeguarding-energy-security-in-south-east-europe-withinvestment-in-demand-side-infrastructure/: Retrieved: 10/05/17.
- E5P, 2017. Projects and cases, Available: http://ukraine.e5p.eu/: Retrieved: 05/05/17.
- Ecologic Institute, 2016. Smart cash for the climate: maximising auctioning revenues from the EU emissions trading system - an analysis of current reporting by Member States and options for improvement, Available: https://www.ecologic.eu/sites/files/publication/2016/2596-smartcashforclimate-fullreport_0.pdf: Retrieved: 10/05/17.
- Energy Union Choices, 2016. “A perspective on infrastructure and energy security in the transition. s.l.:Available: https://europeanclimate.org/energy-union-choices-a-perspective-on-infrastructure-and-energy-security-in-the-transition/.
- EUR-LEX, 2015. European energy programme for recovery, Available: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legalcontent/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM%3Aen0012: Retrieved: 10/05/17.
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 2017. Project summary documents, Available: http://www.ebrd.com/work-with-us/project-finance/project-summary-documents.html: Retrieved: 01/05/17.
- European Commission DG REGIO, 2017. Data for research - Categorisation Data, Available: http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/policy/evaluations/data-for-research/: Retrieved: 04/04/17.
- European Commission, 2015. Neighbourhood Investment Facility. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20161216_nif_annual_activity_report_2015.pdf ed. s.l.:s.n.
- European Commission, 2017a (a). Indicative country strategy papers 2014–2020, Available: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/instruments/overview_en: Retrieved: 23/04/17.
- European Commission, 2017b (b). The EU building stock observatory. s.l.:Available: https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/eubuildings.
- European Commission, 2017c. Second report on the State of the Energy Union. COM(2017) 53 final: Brussels.Google Scholar
- European Investment Bank, 2017a (b). EFSI Project List, Available: http://www.eib.org/efsi/efsi-projects/: Retrieved: 01/05/17.
- European Investment Bank, 2017b. Projects, Available: http://www.eib.org/projects/: Retrieved: 23/05/17.
- Eurostat online statistical database, 2014. Retrieved: April 2016 ed. s.l.:Available: ec.europa.eu/Eurostat.eu.
- Green Growth Fund, 2017. Project portfolio, Available: http://www.ggf.lu/project-portfolio/investments/albania/: Retrieved: 03/05/17.
- KfW Entwicklungsbank, 2017. Projektdatenbank, Available: https://www.kfw-entwicklungsbank.de/Internationale-Finanzierung/KfW-Entwicklungsbank/Projekte/Projektdatenbank/index.jsp: Retrieved: 02/05/17.
- WBIF, 2017. WBIF Projects, Availalble: https://www.wbif.eu/wbif-projects: Retrieved: 20/02/17.
- Western Balkans Regional Energy Efficiency Program, 2016. Western balkans investment framework. s.l.:Available: https://www.wbif.eu/content/stream/Sites/website/library/WBIF-15thSC-EBRD-REEP-WBIF-SC.pdf.
- World Bank, 2017. Projects and operations, Available: http://projects.worldbank.org/: Retrieved: 01/05/17.