Sub-4-micron full-field optical coherence tomography on a budget
- 47 Downloads
We evaluate the construction and performance of an ultra-low-cost full-field optical coherence tomography (FF-OCT) instrument, also known as an optical coherence microscope. Although the cost of construction of the instrument from off-the-shelf parts is at least ten times lower than those of commercial products, sub-4-micron axial and lateral resolutions are obtained, albeit at the cost of higher acquisition times. Standard test samples are imaged and the performance of the instrument is evaluated. The device is found to be useful in measuring length, dispersion and group refractive index as well. Suggestions for bettering performance are discussed.
KeywordsOptical coherence tomography coherence imaging interferometric imaging
The authors wish to convey their gratitude to Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, the founder Chancellor of their University, who guided and inspired us throughout this project. The authors’ department has infrastructure funding from Department of Science and Technology, Government of India (DST) (FIST 2012-2017 SR/FST/PSI-172/2012).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- 1.Puliafito C A, Hee M R, Schuman J S and Fujimoto J G 1996 Optical coherence tomography of ocular diseases. Slack Incorporated, USA, pp. 3–4Google Scholar
- 2.Drexler W and Fujimoto J G (Eds.) 2008 Optical coherence tomography: technology and applications. Springer Science & Business Media, Germany, pp. V–XXVIII, 24Google Scholar
- 5.Hitzenberger C K, Drexler W and Fercher A F 1992 Measurement of corneal thickness by laser Doppler interferometry. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 33(1): 98–103Google Scholar
- 6.Fujimoto J and Swanson E 2016 The development, commercialization, and impact of Optical Coherence Tomography – history of optical coherence tomography Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 57(9): OCT1–OCT13. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.16-19963.
- 11.Subhash H M 2012 Full-field and single-shot full-field optical coherence tomography: a novel technique for biomedical imaging applications. Adv. Opt. Technol. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/435408
- 17.Canon, Inc. 2011 Canon EOS Rebel T3 EOS 1100 D instruction manual Google Scholar
- 18.Johnson M K 2009 Capturing linear images. http://www.mit.edu/~kimo/blog/linear.html
- 19.Coffin D 2012 Decoding raw digital photos in Linux (version 9.27) [software]. http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
- 21.Eaton J W, Bateman D, Hauberg S and Wehbring R 2015 GNU Octave version 4.0. 0 manual: a high-level interactive language for numerical computations. http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter
- 22.Kent B R 2015 3D scientific visualization with blender. Morgan & Claypool, USAGoogle Scholar
- 23.Blender Foundation 2016 Blender (version 2.77) [software]. http://www.blender.org/
- 24.Wang L V and Wu H I 2012 Biomedical optics: principles and imaging. John Wiley & Sons, USA, p. 208Google Scholar
- 27.Polyanskiy M N Refractive index database https://refractiveindex.info/ accessed on 2017-04-21