Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers in the spiny lobster, Panulirus echinatus Smith, 1869 (Decapoda: Palinuridae) by Illumina MiSeq sequencing
- 85 Downloads
The isolation and characterization of 17 polymorphic microsatellite loci from the spiny lobster Panulirus echinatus (Decapoda: Palinuridae) by Illumina MiSeq sequencing is described. The analysis of genetic variability was performed in 42 individuals from 3 different populations (Saint Peter and Saint Paul Rocks, The Rocas Atoll and Cape Verde). The number of alleles ranged from 2 to 8, with an average of 5.4 ± 1.4 alleles per locus. The values of allelic richness varied from 1.8 to 6.2 (average of 3.9 ± 1.0), while PIC values ranged between 0.173 and 0.811. Overall mean observed and expected heterozygosity was estimated to be 0.418 ± 0.165 and 0.587 ± 0.173, respectively. These are the first microsatellite markers characterized for P. echinatus and it is expected that these markers will help to obtain the necessary information for developing conservation and management strategies for this highly valuable fishery species.
Lobster fisheries, undoubtedly, is one of the most...
Keywordsmolecular markers MiSeq sequencing brown spiny lobster population genetics
Sequencing was done on a MiSeq DNA sequencer purchased with a bequest from Elizabeth Ann Nielsen to the Marine Gene Probe Laboratory. The authors acknowledge financial support from the Brazilian Federal Government (Science without Borders programme) scholarship. The authors MFS, IGBS, SOG and GRS were supported by scholarships from the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq).
- Dailianis T., Tsigenopoulos C. S., Dounas C. and Voultsiadou E. 2011 Genetic diversity of the imperilled bath sponge Spongia officinalis Linnaeus, 1759 across the Mediterranean Sea: patterns of population differentiation and implications for taxonomy and conservation. Mol. Ecol. 20, 3757–3772.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Holthuis L. B. 1991 FAO species catalogue. Vol. 13. Marine lobsters of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of species of interest to fisheries known to date. FAO Fish. Synopsis 125, 1–292.Google Scholar
- Kaukinen K. H., Supernault K. J. and Miller K. M. 2004 Enrichment of tetranucleotide microsatellite loci from invertebrate species. J. Shellfish Res. 23, 621–626.Google Scholar
- Pinheiro A. P., Freire F. A. M. and Lins-Oliveira J. E. 2003 Population biology of Panulirus echinatus Smith, 1869 (Decapoda: Palinuridae) from São Pedro e São Paulo archipelago, Northeastern Brazil. Nauplius 11, 27–35.Google Scholar
- Pinheiro A. P. and Lins-Oliveira J. E. 2006 Reproductive biology of Panulirus echinatus (Crustacea: Palinuridae) from São Pedro and São Paulo archipelago, Brazil. Nauplius 14, 89–97.Google Scholar
- Sambrook J., Fritsch E. F. and Maniatis T. 1989 Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, pp. 1626. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Shaklee J. B. and Samollow P. B. 1984 Genetic variation and population structure in a spiny lobster, Panulirus marginatus, in the Hawaiian Archipelago. Fish. Bull. 82, 693–702.Google Scholar