Base pairing in RNA structures: A computational analysis of structural aspects and interaction energies
- 89 Downloads
The base pairing patterns in RNA structures are more versatile and completely different as compared to DNA. We present here results of ab-initio studies of structures and interaction energies of eight selected RNA base pairs reported in literature. Interaction energies, including BSSE correction, of hydrogen added crystal geometries of base pairs have been calculated at the HF/6-31G** level. The structures and interaction energies of the base pairs in the crystal geometry are compared with those obtained after optimization of the base pairs. We find that the base pairs become more planar on full optimization. No change in the hydrogen bonding pattern is seen. It is expected that the inclusion of appropriate considerations of many of these aspects of RNA base pairing would significantly improve the accuracy of RNA secondary structure prediction.
KeywordsBase pairing of RNA DNA sequence interaction energy of RNA RNA structures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. (a)
- 2. (a)
- 6.Šponer J E, Špačková N, Leszczynski J and Šponer J 2005 J. Phys. Chem. B109 11399Google Scholar
- 7. (a)Leontis N B and Westhof E Q 1998 Q. Rev. Biophys. 31 399; (b) Leontis N B, Lesocute A and Westhof E 2006 Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 16 279; (c) Cate J H, Gooding A R, Podell E, Zhou, K H, Golden B L. Kundrot C E, Cech T R and Doudna J A 1996 Science 272 1678; (d) Scott W G, Murray J B, Arnold J R P, Stoddard B L and Klung A 1996 Science 274 2065CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Danilov V I and Anisimov V M 2005 J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 22 471Google Scholar
- 14.Hesselmann A, Jansewn G and Schütz M 2006 J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 128 11730Google Scholar
- 15.Mukherjee S, Majumdar S and Bhattacharyya D 2005 J. Phys. Chem. B109 10484Google Scholar
- 16.Šponer J, Jurečka P and Hobza P 2004 J. Am. Chem. Soc. 126 10142Google Scholar
- 17.Das J, Mukherjee S, Mitra A and Bhattacharyya D 2006 J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 24 149Google Scholar
- 18. (a)
- 20.Bhattacharyya D, Koripella S C, Mitra A, Rajendran V B and Sinha B 2006 IIT Hyderabad Technical Report TR No. IIIT/TR/2006/25 (http://www.iiit.net/techreports/reports.html)