The efficacy and safety of reduced-dose docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil in the first-line treatment of advanced stage gastric adenocarcinoma
- 208 Downloads
Patients with advanced gastric carcinoma have still had bad prognosis despite advances in the modern treatment era. Docetaxel, cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil (DCF) is effective, but highly toxic regimen for advanced cases. In this study, we modified the standard doses of DCF (mDCF) to evaluate the effectiveness and side effects. From July 2005 to July 2008, 37 advanced gastric cancer patients treated with at least one course of mDCF protocol as first-line treatment were included. The mDCF protocol included 60 mg/m2 docetaxel and cisplatin for 1 day and 600 mg/m2/day, 5-flourouracil infusion for 5 days, repeated every 3 weeks. No patients used prophylactic granulocte -colony stimulating factor. Of the patients, 28 were male and nine were female; the median age was 53 (23–65) years. Of them, 83.8% received at least four courses of chemotherapy and 64.9% completed the preplanned six courses of treatment. Eleven (29.7%) of those patients who received mDCF in the first-line treatment used the FOLFIRI (5-FU, folinic acit, irinotekan) regimen for the second-line treatment. Response rates were evaluated according to RECIST criteria in 30 out of 37 patients. The median follow-up time was 7.1 months. The longest follow-up time was 19.9 months. Two patients (5.4%) had complete response, nine (21.6%) had partial response, and 14 (37.9%) had stabilized disease; overall, the disease was controlled in 25 patients (64.9%) whereas five patients (13.5%) had progression. Median time to progression was 6.7 months and overall survival was 10 months. The assessment of patients for grade 3–4 toxicity revealed that while 5.4% had anemia and 8.1% had neutropenia, 5.4% nausea and 5.4% diarrhea. Neutropenic fever developed in two patients, requiring hospitalization. G-CSF was used in three patients. Two patients with neutropenic fever and two with severe anemia (total number 4; 10.8%) received delayed chemotherapy. Dose reduction was required in four patients (10.8%), one due to neutropenia, one due to nephrotoxicity, and two due to nausea. No patient died due to chemotherapy toxicity. This retrospective study suggested that mDCF might have comparable efficacy with classical DFC, with better toxicity profile. However, its small size and retrospective nature should be considered when interpreting the results.
KeywordsAdvanced gastric cancer Docetaxel Cisplatin Fluorouracil Modified
- 10.Kohne CH, et al. Randomized phase III study of high-dose fluorouracil given as a weekly 24-hour infusion with or without leucovorin versus bolus fluorouracil plus leucovorin in advanced colorectal cancer: European organization of Research and Treatment of Cancer Gastrointestinal Group Study 40952. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:3721–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ohtsu A, et al. Randomized phase III trial of fluorouracil alone versus fluorouracil plus cisplatin versus uracil and tegafur plus mitomycin in patients with unresectable, advanced gastric cancer: The Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study (JCOG9205). J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:54–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Vanhoefer U, et al. Final results of a randomized phase III trial of sequential high-dose methotrexate, fluorouracil, and doxorubicin versus etoposide, leucovorin, and fluorouracil versus infusional fluorouracil and cisplatin in advanced gastric cancer: A trial of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:2648–57.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Roth AD, et al. Docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil; docetaxel and cisplatin; and epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil as systemic treatment for advanced gastric carcinoma: a randomized phase II trial of the Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:3217–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar