Indolent Nodal Relapse of Colon Carcinoma with Associated Tumor Thrombus Invading the Superior Mesenteric Vein
Approximately 50–60% of patients with colorectal cancer develop metastatic disease, with the liver, lungs, and peritoneum being the commonest sites of occurrence. While there is data supporting the role of metastatectomy for liver disease, especially when occurring metachronously, evidence is limited for resection of extrahepatic disease. However, there is some evidence that judicious use of salvage surgery has a role in well-selected patients. This case highlights the extremely rare diagnosis of superior mesenteric vein (SMV) tumor thrombus related to metastatic nodal recurrence of colon cancer in a 54-year-old male with a history of T3N2b colon cancer. We present the diagnostic and management issues associated with this complex case which demonstrated an unusual pattern of recurrence.
A 54-year-old gentleman who, during active surveillance for a low-grade Gleason 3+3 prostate cancer diagnosed in 2012, complained of progressive colicky left iliac fossa and...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Edge S, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz AG, Greene F, Trotti A. AJCC (American Joint Committee on Cancer) cancer staging manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer; 2010.Google Scholar
- 4.Andre T, Boni C, Navarro M, Tabernero J, Hickish T, Topham C, et al. Improved overall survival with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment in stage II or III colon cancer in the MOSAIC trial. J Clin Oncol: Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2009;27(19):3109–16. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.6771.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Pita-Fernandez S, Alhayek-Ai M, Gonzalez-Martin C, Lopez-Calvino B, Seoane-Pillado T, Pertega-Diaz S. Intensive follow-up strategies improve outcomes in nonmetastatic colorectal cancer patients after curative surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Oncol: Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2015;26(4):644–56. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu543.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Goldberg RM, Fleming TR, Tangen CM, Moertel CG, Macdonald JS, Haller DG, et al. Surgery for recurrent colon cancer: strategies for identifying resectable recurrence and success rates after resection. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, the North Central Cancer Treatment Group, and the Southwest Oncology Group. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129(1):27–35.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Meyers D, Nixon NA, Franko A, Ng D, Tam VC. Tumour thrombus of the inferior vena cava extending into the right atrium in the setting of colon cancer. BMJ Case Rep. 2017;2017 https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2016-218107.
- 15.Matsumura A, Hatakeyama T, Ogino S, Takemura M, Mugitani T, Akami T, et al. Two cases of colorectal cancer with tumor thrombus in the inferior mesenteric vein. Gan to kagaku ryoho Cancer Chemother. 2015;42(12):2224–6.Google Scholar
- 16.Otani K, Ishihara S, Hata K, Murono K, Sasaki K, Yasuda K, et al. Colorectal cancer with venous tumor thrombosis. Asian J Surger. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asjsur.2016.07.013.
- 19.Jia L, Kiryu S, Watadani T, Akai H, Yamashita H, Akahane M, et al. Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombus: assessment based on clinical and computer tomography characteristics. Acta Med Okayama. 2012;66(2):131–41. https://doi.org/10.18926/AMO/48263.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lai P, Bomanji JB, Mahmood S, Nagabhushan N, Syed R, Gacinovic S, et al. Detection of tumour thrombus by 18F-FDG-PET/CT imaging. Eur J Cancer Preven: Off J Eur Cancer Preven Org. 2007;16(1):90–4. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.cej.0000220641.46470.77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Davidson T, Goitein O, Avigdor A, Zwas ST, Goshen E. 18F- FDG-PET/CT for the diagnosis of tumor thrombosis. Israel Med Assoc J: IMAJ. 2009;11(2):69–73.Google Scholar
- 28.Fernandez FG, Drebin JA, Linehan DC, Dehdashti F, Siegel BA, Strasberg SM. Five-year survival after resection of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer in patients screened by positron emission tomography with F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG-PET). Ann Surg. 2004;240(3):438–447; discussion 447-450.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 34.Takeshima K, Yamafuji K, Asami A, Baba H, Okamoto N, Takahashi H, et al. Successful resection of isolated para-aortic lymph node recurrence from advanced sigmoid colon cancer following 156 courses of FOLFIRI regimen. Case Rep Surger. 2016;2016(4548798):1–5. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4548798.Google Scholar
- 35.Mitry E, Fields AL, Bleiberg H, Labianca R, Portier G, Tu D, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy after potentially curative resection of metastases from colorectal cancer: a pooled analysis of two randomized trials. J Clin Oncol: Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2008;26(30):4906–11. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.17.3781.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Ychou M, Hohenberger W, Thezenas S, Navarro M, Maurel J, Bokemeyer C, et al. A randomized phase III study comparing adjuvant 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid with FOLFIRI in patients following complete resection of liver metastases from colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol: Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2009;20(12):1964–70. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp236.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Tournigand C, Andre T, Achille E, Lledo G, Flesh M, Mery-Mignard D, et al. FOLFIRI followed by FOLFOX6 or the reverse sequence in advanced colorectal cancer: a randomized GERCOR study. J Clin Oncol: Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2004;22(2):229–37. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.05.113.CrossRefGoogle Scholar