HES1 as an Independent Prognostic Marker in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Notch signaling is one of the main involved pathways in cell differentiation and organogenesis, and its deregulation may lead to tumorigenesis. In this pathway, targeted to the CSL (CBF1, Suppressor of Hairless or Lag-1) complex, notch intracellular domain (NICD) releases corepressors and recruits MAML1 as coactivator triggering the activation of notch signaling transcription complex. Hairy enhance of split-1 (HES1) is one of the notch signaling target genes which is a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor acting as a proliferation stimulator through the suppression of cell cycle inhibitors such as p27 and p21.
In this study, we aimed to analyze the role of HES1 in the progression of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC).
Messenger RNA (mRNA) expression of HES1 in fresh tumoral tissues and their margin normal samples were assessed in 50 ESCC patients by real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
Thirteen out of 50 cases (26 %) had HES1 underexpression, while HES1 overexpression was observed only in 4 (8 %) samples. HES1 underexpression was significantly correlated with tumor depth of invasion (P = 0.035).
Although we have not observed any significant correlation between the HES1 expression and notch activation in ESCC, this study is the first report that elucidated the HES1 underexpression in ESCC and revealed its correlation with the invasiveness of ESCC.
KeywordsESCC Notch signaling pathway HES1 Real-time PCR Iran Tumor
- 1.Forghanifard MM, Gholamin M, Farshchian M, Moaven O, Memar B, Forghani MN, et al. Cancer-testis gene expression profiling in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: identification of specific tumor marker and potential targets for immunotherapy. Cancer Biol Ther. 2011;12(3):191–7.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Moghbeli M, Moghbeli F, Forghanifard MM, Garayali A, Abbaszadegan MR. Cancer stem cell markers in esophageal cancer. Am J Cancer Sci. 2013;2(1):37–50.Google Scholar
- 17.Ma J, Xia J, Miele L, Sarkar FH, Wang Z. Notch signaling pathway in pancreatic cancer progression. Pancreat Disord Ther. 2013;3(114).Google Scholar
- 23.Moghbeli M, Forghanifard MM, Aarabi A, Mansourian A, Abbaszadegan MR. Clinicopathological sex-related relevance of Musashi1 mRNA expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma patients. Pathol Oncol Res. 2014;20(2):427–33.Google Scholar
- 38.Sang L, Roberts JM, Coller HA. Hijacking HES1: how tumors co-opt the anti-differentiation strategies of quiescent cells. Trends Mol Med. 2010;16(1):17–26.Google Scholar