DNMT3B −579 G>T Promoter Polymorphism and Risk of Gallbladder Carcinoma in North Indian Population
- 103 Downloads
Carcinoma of gallbladder (GBC) is a relatively rare but highly fatal disease. The DNA (cytosine-5-)-methyltransferase 3 beta (DNMT3B) −579 G>T promoter polymorphism (rs1569686) influences gene function and has been associated with various malignancies. Present population-based case-control study was undertaken to examine the potential association of DNMT3B −579 G>T variation with GBC in North Indian population.
Genotypes and allelic frequencies of the DNMT3B −579 G>T polymorphism were determined for 212 GBC patients and 219 controls using PCR-RFLP. Odds ratio (OR) and 95% confidence interval (95% CI) were calculated for the association of DNMT3B polymorphism with GBC. Analysis of potential transcription factor binding sites was also identified in the region harboring the polymorphism.
The DNMT3B −579 G>T polymorphism was found to be non-significantly associated with an overall increased risk of GBC (OR = 1.10 and 1.56 for T/G and G/G genotypes, respectively, P trend = 0.227). The increased risk was predominant in both male and female cohorts and also non-significantly in GBC patients with gallstone status (OR = 1.44; P = 0.280, OR = 1.06; P = 0.804 and OR = 1.45; P = 0.143, respectively).
DNMT3B −579 G>T polymorphism may alter susceptibility to GBC although it may not play a major role in the pathoetiology of this disease in North Indian population.
Keywordsgallbladder cancer (GBC) DNA (cytosine-5-)-methyltransferase 3 beta (DNMT3B) epidemiology polymorphism restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP)
The study was supported by fellowship grants from Counsel of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
Declaration of Competing Interests
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Hoi-Hung C, Tin-Lap L, Owen MR, Wai-Yee C. DNA methylation of cancer genome Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today. Reviews. 2009;87:335–50.Google Scholar
- 7.Tian Z, Zhang ZY, Li L, Li J (2006) [Expression of DNA methyltransferases in salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma and its association with the CpG islands methylation of tumor suppressor genes] Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 41:411–415Google Scholar
- 15.Fan H, Liu DS, Zhang SH, Hu JB, Zhang F, Zhao ZJ. DNMT3B 579 G > T promoter polymorphism and risk of esophagus carcinoma in Chinese World. J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:2230–4.Google Scholar
- 16.International Union Against Cancer (UICC) (2002) TNM classification of malignant tumours, 6th ed, Sobin LH, Wittekind Ch (ed.), New York, Wiley-Liss:pp. 184–187Google Scholar
- 24.National Cancer Registry Programme (2002) Two-year report of the Population Based Cancer Registries 1997–1998. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical ResearchGoogle Scholar