Palbociclib inhibits proliferation of human adrenocortical tumor cells
Adrenocortical cancer (ACC) is a rare malignant tumor . Pharmacological therapy is based on mitotane administered alone or in association with the EDP regimen (etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin) . However, the prognosis of ACC patients not amenable to surgery still remains poor and newer treatment strategies are needed . Drugs targeting cell cycle could be a relevant new therapeutic approach for patients with advanced ACC .
Cell cycle is controlled by several key proteins, including CDKs (cyclin-dependent kinases), which are the target of recently discovered cell-cycle checkpoint inhibitors . Palbociclib is a CDK4/6-inhibitor that is active against a broad range of tumors and has an acceptable toxicity, being neutropenia being the most relevant side effect . This drug is actually approved in the management of locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer .
In this study, we investigated in vitro the effect of Palbociclib in NCI-H295R ACC cells and...
This work was supported by University of Brescia local grants; AIRC, project IG17678; Fondazione Camillo Golgi and by a private donation of Mrs Serena Ambrogini and family in memory of her son Guido Cioni. M.F. was supported by a grant from the Italian Society of Pharmacology. Palbociclib was kindly provided by Pfizer.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest in relation to the topic of the manuscript.
The project was approved by the local Ethical Committee.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.A. Berruti, E. Baudin, H. Gelderblom, H.R. Haak, F. Porpiglia, M. Fassnacht, G. Pentheroudakis, ESMO guidelines working group: adrenal cancer: esmo clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann. Oncol. 23(Suppl 7), vii131–vii138 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.M.C. De Martino, A. Al Ghuzlan, S. Aubert, G. Assié, J.Y. Scoazec, S. Leboulleux, C. Do Cao, R. Libè, C. Nozières, M. Lombès, F. Pattou, F. Borson-Chazot, S. Hescot, C. Mazoyer, J. Young, I. Borget, A. Colao, R. Pivonello, J.C. Soria, J. Bertherat, M. Schlumberger, L. Lacroix, E. Baudin, Molecular screening for a personalized treatment approach in advanced adrenocortical cancer. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 98, 4080–4088 (2013)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.S. Verma, C.H. Bartlett, P. Schnell, A.M. DeMichele, S. Loi, J. Ro, M. Colleoni, H. Iwata, N. Harbeck, M. Cristofanilli, K. Zhang, A. Thiele, N.C. Turner, H.S. Rugo,: Palbociclib in combination with fulvestrant in women with hormone receptor-positive/HER2-negative advanced metastatic breast cancer: detailed safety analysis from a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, phase III Study (PALOMA-3). Oncologist 21, 1165–1175 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.F. Fiorentini, S. Bodei, F. Bedussi, M. Fragni, S.A. Bonini, C. Simeone, D. Zani, A. Berruti, C. Missale, M. Memo, P.F. Spano, S. Sigala,: GPNMB/OA protein increases the invasiveness of human metastatic prostate cancer cell lines DU145 and PC3 through MMP-2 and MMP-9 activity. Exp. Cell Res. 323, 100–111 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.I. Casaburi, P. Avena, A. De Luca, A. Chimento, R. Sirianni, R. Malivindi, V. Rago, M. Fiorillo, F. Domanico, C. Campana, A.R. Cappello, F. Sotgia, M.P. Lisanti, V. Pezzi, Estrogen related receptor α (ERRα) a promising target for the therapy of adrenocortical carcinoma (ACC). Oncotarget 22, 25135–25148 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.G. Assié, E. Letouzé, M. Fassnacht, A. Jouinot, W. Luscap, O. Barreau, H. Omeiri, S. Rodriguez, K. Perlemoine, F. René-Corail, N. Elarouci, S. Sbiera, M. Kroiss, B. Allolio, J. Waldmann, M. Quinkler, M. Mannelli, F. Mantero, T. Papathomas, R. De Krijger, A. Tabarin, V. Kerlan, E. Baudin, F. Tissier, B. Dousset, L. Groussin, L. Amar, E. Clauser, X. Bertagna, B. Ragazzon, F. Beuschlein, R. Libé, A. de Reyniès, J. Bertherat, Integrated genomic characterization of adrenocortical carcinoma. Nat. Genet. 46, 607–612 (2014)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.B. Ragazzon, R. Libé, G. Assié, F. Tissier, O. Barreau, C. Houdayer, K. Perlemoine, A. Audebourg, E. Clauser, F. René-Corail, X. Bertagna, B. Dousset, J. Bertherat, L. Groussin, Mass-array screening of frequent mutations in cancers reveals RB1 alterations in aggressive adrenocortical carcinomas. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 170, 385–391 (2014)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.J.T. Hoffman, A. Plotka, M. O'Gorman, A. Chang, M. Kosa, C.M. Loi, C. Gallo-Stampino, D.D. Wang,: A phase 1 randomized, open-label, fixed-sequence, 2-period study of the effect of multiple doses of rifampin on palbociclib (PD-0332991) pharmacokinetics in healthy volunteers. ASCO Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, 18–22, (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.D.B. Rivadeneira, C.N. Mayhew, C. Thangavel, E. Sotillo, C.A. Reed, X. Graña, E.S. Knudsen, Proliferative suppression by CDK4/6 inhibition: complex function of the retinoblastoma pathway in liver tissue and hepatoma cells. Gastroenterology 138, 1920–1930 (2010)CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.C. Fiorentini, M. Fragni, P. Perego, S. Vezzoli, S.A. Bonini, M. Tortoreto, D. Galli, M. Claps, G.A. Tiberio, M. Terzolo, C. Missale, M. Memo, G. Procopio, N. Zaffaroni, A. Berruti, S. Sigala, Antisecretive and antitumor activity of abiraterone acetate in human adrenocortical cancer: a preclinical study. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 101, 4594–4602 (2016)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.A. Berruti, M. Terzolo, P. Sperone, A. Pia, S. Della Casa, D.J. Gross, C. Carnaghi, P. Casali, F. Porpiglia, F. Mantero, G. Reimondo, A. Angeli, L. Dogliotti, Etoposide, doxorubicin and cisplatin plus mitotane in the treatment of advanced adrenocortical carcinoma: a large prospective phase II trial. Endocr. Relat. Cancer 12, 657–666 (2005)CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar