High-Frequency Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Nitroxide-Functionalized Nanodiamonds in Aqueous Solution
Nanodiamond (ND) is an attractive class of nanomaterial for fluorescent labeling, magnetic sensing of biological molecules, and targeted drug delivery. Many of those applications require tethering of target biological molecules on the ND surface. Even though many approaches have been developed to attach macromolecules to the ND surface, it remains challenging to characterize dynamics of tethered molecule. Here, we show high-frequency electron paramagnetic resonance (HF EPR) spectroscopy of nitroxide-functionalized NDs. Nitroxide radical is a commonly used spin label to investigate dynamics of biological molecules. In the investigation, we developed a sample holder to overcome water absorption of HF microwave. Then, we demonstrated HF EPR spectroscopy of nitroxide-functionalized NDs in aqueous solution and showed clear spectral distinction of ND and nitroxide EPR signals. Moreover, through EPR spectral analysis, we investigate dynamics of nitroxide radicals on the ND surface. The demonstration sheds light on the use of HF EPR spectroscopy to investigate biological molecule-functionalized nanoparticles.
KeywordsElectron paramagnetic resonance High frequency Aqueous sample Nanodiamond Nitroxide Click chemistry
This work was supported by the Searle Scholars Program, the USC Anton B. Burg Foundation and the National Science Foundation (DMR-1508661) (S.T.).
- 12.Zhao, L., Nakae, Y., Qin, H., Ito, T., Kimura, T., Kojima, H., & Chan, L. (2014). Polyglycerol-functionalized nanodiamond as a platform for gene delivery:derivatization, characterization, and hybridization with DNA. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 10, 707–713.Google Scholar
- 20.Edwards, T. E., Okonogi, T. M., Robinson, B. H., & Sigurdsson, S. T. (2001). Site-specific incorporation of nitroxide spin-labels into internal sites of the TAR RNA. Structure-dependent dynamics of RNA by EPR spectroscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 123, 1527–1528.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Yamauchi, J. (2008). Molecular Magnetism. handbook of Nitroxides: applications in chemistry, biomedicine, and materials science (pp. 47–68). Weinheim: Wiley-VCH.Google Scholar
- 29.Akiel R, Zhang X, Abeywardana C, Stepanov V, Peter Z Qin, Takahashi S (2016) DNA bar-coding of anodiamonds. 2016. submitted.Google Scholar
- 35.Schneider, D. J., & Freed, J. H. (1989). Spin relaxation and motional dynamics. Advances in Chemical Physics, 73, 387–528.Google Scholar
- 38.Polimeno, A., & Freed, J. H. (1993). A many-body stochastic approach to rotational motions in liquids. Advances in Chemical Physics, 83, 89–206.Google Scholar