High-performance one-pack ambient cross-linking latex binders containing low-generation PAMAM dendrimers and ZnO nanoparticles
- 84 Downloads
This study focuses on ambient-temperature self-crosslinking acrylic latex coating compositions containing poly(amidoamine) (PAMAM) dendrimers and ZnO nanoparticles in the role of inter-particle cross-linking agents and flash rust inhibitors. Low-generation amine-terminated PAMAM dendrimers as aqueous solutions were added into latices containing diacetone acrylamide repeat units in their polymer structure. The incorporation of ZnO nanoparticles (without any surface treatment) was performed during the synthesis of a polymer dispersion carried out by the semi-continuous emulsion polymerization technique. The latex storage stability and coating performance with respect to zinc oxide and PAMAM presence were evaluated and compared with a conventional zinc oxide-free coating composition containing adipic acid dihydrazide as the cross-linking agent. It was found that the novel latices containing both PAMAM dendrimers and ZnO nanoparticles exhibited a long-term storage stability and provided crosslinked transparent coating films of high gloss, enhanced mechanical properties, solvent resistance and excellent water whitening resistance. Moreover, the latex compositions containing PAMAM dendrimers as the inter-particle cross-linkers were shown to provide flash rust resistance.
KeywordsSelf-crosslinking latex PAMAM dendrimer Water whitening Flash rust Zinc oxide Nanoparticle
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic (Grants LM2015082 and ED4.100/11.0251).
- 3.Holub, P, “One-Component Systems Yield Good Properties.” Eur. Coat. J., 10 21–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Koukiotis, ChG, Karabela, MM, Sideridou, ID, “Mechanical Properties of Films of Latexes Based on Copolymers BA/MMA/DAAM and BA/MMA/VEOVA-10/DAAM and the Corresponding Self-crosslinked Copolymers Using the Adipic Acid Dihydrazide as Crosslinking Agent.” Prog. Org. Coat., 75 106–115 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Li, M, Lin, X, Li, X, Wang, H, “Preparation and Property Study of Core-Shell Ambient-Temperature Crosslinkable Polyacrylate Binder.” Appl. Mech. Mat., 469 3–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, H, Kan, C, Du, Y, Liu, D, “Effects of the Amount of Diacetone Acrylamide on the Properties of Styrene-Acrylic Copolymer Latexes and their Films.” Polym. Prep., 43 413–414 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Scholten, HP, Slinck, MM, “Interpolymer Latexes from Esters of (Meth)acrylic Acid and Vinyl Esters of Branched Chain Carboxylic Acids,” EP Patent 486,110 A1, 1992Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, J, Zhang, T, Liu, H, “Copolymer Dispersion for Water Whitening Resistant Coatings.” US Patent 8,772,386 B2 2014Google Scholar