Euthanasia: Global Scenario and Its Status in India
The legal and moral validity of euthanasia has been questioned in different situations. In India, the status of euthanasia is no different. It was the Aruna Ramachandra Shanbaug case that got significant public attention and led the Supreme Court of India to initiate detailed deliberations on the long ignored issue of euthanasia. Realising the importance of this issue and considering the ongoing and pending litigation before the different courts in this regard, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India issued a public notice on May 2016 that invited opinions from the citizens and the concerned stakeholders on the proposed draft bill entitled The Medical Treatment of Terminally Ill Patients (Protection of Patients and Medical Practitioners) Bill. Globally, only a few countries have legislation with discreet and unambiguous guidelines on euthanasia. The ongoing developments have raised a hope of India getting a discreet law on euthanasia in the future.
KeywordsEuthanasia Aruna Shanbaug Indian law Physician-assisted suicide (PAS)
- Bbc.co.uk. (2009). BBC—Religions—Hinduism: Euthanasia, assisted dying and suicide. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/hinduism/hinduethics/euthanasia.shtml.
- Bbc.co.uk. (2012). BBC—Religions—Islam: Euthanasia, assisted dying, medical ethics and suicide. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/islamethics/euthanasia.shtml.
- Bma.org.uk. (2017). BMA—End-of-life care and physician-assisted dying. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice/policy-and-research/ethics/end-of-life-care.
- Chavan, P. (2017). Should euthanasia be allowed in India? Ministry of Health & Family Welfare wants your opinion. Retrieved June 28, 2017, from http://www.thehealthsite.com/news/should-euthanasia-be-allowed-in-india-ministry-of-health-family-welfare-wants-your-opinion-po0516/.
- Daily News & Analysis. (2011). The hits and misses of the Aruna Shanbaug verdict. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.dnaindia.com/india/analysis-the-hits-and-misses-of-the-aruna-shanbaug-verdict-1517522.
- Findlaw. (2017). FindLaw’s court of appeals of New Mexico case and opinions. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nm-court-of-appeals/1710738.html.
- Grim Reaper, M. D. (2017). National review. Retrieved June 28, 2017, from https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2016-04-25-0100/euthanasia-policy-holland-the-netherlands-slippery-slope.
- House Bill 814, 49th Legislature—State of New Mexico—First Session, 2009. (2009). Retrieved from https://www.nmlegis.gov/sessions/09%20Regular/bills/house/HB0814.pdf.
- Indiankanoon.org. (2017). Aruna Ramchandra Shanbaug vs Union of India & Ors on 7 March, 2011. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from https://indiankanoon.org/doc/235821/.
- Langley, A. (2017). ‘Suicide tourists’ go to the Swiss for help in dying. Nytimes.com. Retrieved June 28, 2017, from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/04/world/suicide-tourists-go-to-the-swiss-for-help-in-dying.html?mcubz=2.
- Liddane, N. (2013). Abandoned to principle: an overview of the law on euthanasia & assisted suicide in the UK and Ireland & the case for reform. Cork Online Law Review, 12, 79–103.Google Scholar
- Mani, R., Amin, P., Chawla, R., Divatia, J., Kapadia, F., Khilnani, P., Myatra, S., Prayag, S., Rajagopalan, R., Todi, S., Uttam, R., Balakrishnan, S., Dalmia, A., & Kuthiala, A. (2005). Limiting life-prolonging interventions and providing palliative care towards the end-of-life in Indian intensive care units. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 9(2), 96. doi: 10.4103/0972-5229.17097.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mani, R., Amin, P., Chawla, R., Divatia, J., Kapadia, F., Khilnani, P., Myatra, S., Prayag, S., Rajagopalan, R., Todi, S., & Uttam, R. (2012). Guidelines for end-of-life and palliative care in Indian intensive care units’ ISCCM consensus ethical position statement. Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 16(3), 166. doi: 10.4103/0972-5229.102112.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Medical treatment to terminally ill patients (protection of patients and medical practitioners). (2006). http://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/reports.htm. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/reports/rep196.pdf.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW). (2016). Medical treatment of terminally-ill patients (protection of patients and medical. Practitioners) Act. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.prsindia.org/uploads/media/draft/Draft%20Passive%20Euthanansia%20Bill.pdf.
- Nationalrighttolifenews.org. (2017). British Medical Association rejects attempt to push it neutral on assisted suicide by 2 to 1 majority | NRL News Today. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2016/06/british-medical-association-rejects-attempt-to-push-it-neutral-on-assisted-suicide-by-2-to-1-majority/#.WVSSV-uGPIU.
- Openparliament.ca. (2017). Bill C-14 | openparliament.ca (online). https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-14/. Accessed June 29, 2017.
- Passive Euthanasia—A Relook. Report No. 241. (2012). http://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/reports/report241.pdf.
- Rajagopal, K. (2016). Open to framing law on euthanasia, says Centre. The Hindu. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Open-to-framing-law-on-euthanasia-says-Centre/article14028780.ece.
- Reuters. (2017). Euthanasia tourists snap up pet shop drug in Mexico (online). http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-euthanasia-idUSN0329945820080603. Accessed June 29, 2017.
- Services.parliament.uk. (2007). Assisted dying (No. 2) bill 2015-16—UK Parliament. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/assisteddyingno2.html.
- The Times of India. (2016). Doctor group seeks law to spare patients needless med spend—Times of India. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Doctor-group-seeks-law-to-spare-patients-needless-med-spend/articleshow/53145801.cms.
- Wma.net. (2017). WMA—The World Medical Association-WMA Resolution on Euthanasia. Retrieved June 29, 2017, from https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-resolution-on-euthanasia/.