Strategies for Teaching Professional Ethics to IT Engineering Degree Students and Evaluating the Result
This paper presents an experience in developing professional ethics by an approach that integrates knowledge, teaching methodologies and assessment coherently. It has been implemented for students in both the Software Engineering and Computer Engineering degree programs of the Technical University of Madrid, in which professional ethics is studied as a part of a required course. Our contribution of this paper is a model for formative assessment that clarifies the learning goals, enhances the results, simplifies the scoring and can be replicated in other contexts. A quasi-experimental study that involves many of the students of the required course has been developed. To test the effectiveness of the teaching process, the analysis of ethical dilemmas and the use of deontological codes have been integrated, and a scoring rubric has been designed. Currently, this model is also being used to develop skills related to social responsibility and sustainability for undergraduate and postgraduate students of diverse academic context.
KeywordsEngineering education Engineering ethics Formative assessment Professional codes of ethics
- ACM-Association for Computing Machinery. (2013). Computer science curricula 2013. Curriculum guidelines for undergraduate degree programs in computer science. Retrieved from http://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- ACM-Association for Computing Machinery. (2015). Code of ethics and professional conduct. Retrieved from http://www.acm.org/about/code-of-ethics. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- BOE-Boletín Oficial del Estado. (2009). Recomendaciones para la propuesta por las universidades de memorias de solicitud de títulos oficiales en los ámbitos de la ingeniería informática, ingeniería técnica informática e ingeniería química. Secretaría General de Universidades. Acuerdo de 8 de junio de 2009. Retrieved from http://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2009-12977. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Bowden, P., & Smythe, V. (2008). Theories on teaching & training in ethics. Electronic Journal of Business Ethics and Organization Studies, 13(2), 19–26.Google Scholar
- Comunian, A. L. (2002). Structure of the Padua moral judgment scale: A study of young adults in seven countries. In 110th annual conference of the American Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.Google Scholar
- Conlon, E. (2010). Towards an integrated approach to engineering ethics. In Proceeding of the 3rd international symposium for engineering education.Google Scholar
- Cortina, A. (2007). Ética de la razón cordial: educar en la ciudadanía en el siglo XXI. Oviedo: Ediciones Nobel.Google Scholar
- de la Herrán Gascón, A. (2014). Enfoque radical e inclusivo de la formación. REICE: Revista Electrónica Iberoamericana sobre Calidad, Eficacia y Cambio en Educación, 12(2), 163–264.Google Scholar
- EHEA-European Higher Education Area. (2005). The framework of qualifications for the European Higher Education Area. Retrieved from http://www.ehea.info/Uploads/Documents/QF-EHEA-May2005.pdf. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- ENAEE-European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education. (2015). EUR-ACE framework standards and guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.enaee.eu/eur-ace-system/eur-ace-framework-standards. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Harris, C. E., Pritchard, M. S., & Rabins, M. J. (2000). Engineering ethics: Concepts and cases (Vol. 2). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.Google Scholar
- Herkert, J. R. (1999). ABET’s engineering criteria 2000 and engineering ethics: Where do we go from here. In Online proceeding of international conference on ethics in engineering and computer science (Vol. 2, pp. 1–24).Google Scholar
- IEEE-Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. (2015). Code of ethics. Retrieved from http://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/governance/p7-8.html. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Johnson, D. G. (2009). Computer ethics. New Jersey: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Jones, T. M. (1991). Ethical decision making by individuals in organizations: An issue contingent model. Academy of Management Review, 16(2), 366–395.Google Scholar
- Kohlberg, L. (1981). The philosophy of moral development (Vol. 1). San Francisco: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Kohlberg, L. (1984). The psychology of moral development (Vol. 2). San Francisco: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Minano, R., & Fernández Aller, C. (2015). Guía para trabajar la competencia de responsabilidad social y ambiental. Retrieved from http://oa.upm.es/35542/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Mitchell, C., & Baillie, C. (1998). On values, role models, and the importance of being me. In Proceeding of the 1998 annual ASEE conference, June 28, 1998–July 1, 1998.Google Scholar
- Rathje, D., Spitzer, H., & Zandvoort, H. (2008). How to prepare students for a responsible use of science and engineering. In Results from the workshop “teaching ethics and peace to science and engineering students”. University of Hamburg, October 15–17, 2008.Google Scholar
- Rest, J. R. (1979). Development in judging moral issues. Minneapolis, MN: Center for the Study of Ethical Development, University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Rest, J. R. (1986). Moral development: Advances in research and theory. New York: Praeger Publishers.Google Scholar
- Rest, J. R., & Narvaez, D. (1998). Guide for DIT-2. Minneapolis, MN: Center for the Study of Ethical Development, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Rudnicka, E. (2004). A review of instruments for measuring moral reasoning/values. In 10th international conference on industry, engineering, and management systems (pp. 305–311).Google Scholar
- Rudnicka, E. A., Besterfield-Sacre, M., & Shuman, L. J. (2013). Development and evaluation of a model to assess engineering ethical reasoning and decision making. The International Journal of Engineering Education, 29(4), 948–966.Google Scholar
- Segalas, J. (2009). Engineering education for a sustainable future. Doctoral dissertation, PhD thesis, Universtat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona.Google Scholar
- Shuman, L. J., Sindelar, M. F., Besterfield-Sacre, M., Wolfe, H., Pinkus, R. L., Miller, R. L., et al. (2004). Can our students recognize and resolve ethical dilemmas? In CD Proceeding, 2004 American Society for Engineering Education conference. Google Scholar
- Sleurs, W. (2008). Competences for ESD (education for sustainable development) teachers. A framework to integrate ESD in the curriculum of teacher training institutes. Comenius 2.1 project 118277-CP-1-2004-BE-Comenius-C2, 1.Google Scholar
- UH Manoa-General Education. (2008). Contemporary ethical issues focus. Rubric for general education program assessment. Retrieved from http://manoa.hawaii.edu/assessment/resources/rubrics/ETH_rubric_2008-04-04.doc. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- UPM-Universidad Politécnica de Madrid-Innovación Educativa. (2015) Competencias genéricas. Recursos de apoyo al profesorado. http://innovacioneducativa.upm.es/competencias-genericas/competencias. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Yau, J. J. C., Cheah, S.-M., & Phua, S. T. (2013). Contextualize teaching of ethics in chemical engineering curriculum. In Proceeding of the 9th international CDIO conference. Google Scholar