Frequency and Type of Conflicts of Interest in the Peer Review of Basic Biomedical Research Funding Applications: Self-Reporting Versus Manual Detection
- 315 Downloads
Despite the presumed frequency of conflicts of interest in scientific peer review, there is a paucity of data in the literature reporting on the frequency and type of conflicts that occur, particularly with regard to the peer review of basic science applications. To address this gap, the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) conducted a retrospective analysis of conflict of interest data from the peer review of 282 biomedical research applications via several onsite review panels. The overall conflicted-ness of these panels was significantly lower than that reported for regulatory review. In addition, the majority of identified conflicts were institutional or collaborative in nature. No direct financial conflicts were identified, although this is likely due to the relatively basic science nature of the research. It was also found that 65 % of identified conflicts were manually detected by AIBS staff searching reviewer CVs and application documents, with the remaining 35 % resulting from self-reporting. The lack of self-reporting may be in part attributed to a lack of perceived risk of the conflict. This result indicates that many potential conflicts go unreported in peer review, underscoring the importance of improving detection methods and standardizing the reporting of reviewer and applicant conflict of interest information.
KeywordsPeer review Research funding Biomedical Conflict of interest Grant
We would like to acknowledge AIBS SPARS staff who implemented these reviews and generated these data. We are also appreciative of the discussions with Dr. Genevieve Pham-Kanter at Drexel University.
Conflict of interest
No conflicts of interest are declared.
- Lo, B., & Field, M. J. (2009). Institute of Medicine. Conflict of interest in medical research, education, and practice. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- Merton, R. K. (1973). The sociology of science. Theoretical and empirical investigations. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- National Institutes of Health. (2014). Managing Conflict of Interest in NIH Peer Review of Grants and Contracts. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/peer/peer_coi.htm. Accessed 17 October 2014.
- Rockey, S. J., & Collins, F. S. (2010). Managing financial conflict of interest in biomedical research. JAMA. 303(23), 2400–2402.Google Scholar
- Wood, F., & Wessely, S. (2003). Peer review of grant applications: A systematic review. In Jefferson Godlee (Ed.), Peer review in health sciences (pp. 14–31). London: BMJ Publications.Google Scholar