Can Pedophiles Change?
Purpose of Review
To provide a critical analysis of purported claims to have cured pedophilia, including their scientific and policy implications.
A single recent study has been in published in which authors claimed to find evidence that half of pedophiles cease to be pedophiles, when tested with a phallometric test in use at those authors’ facility. Bootleg simulation of the original dataset confirmed prior criticisms: When analyzed correctly, the data were indistinguishable from random. Despite that the study was not a treatment study, claims continue to appear that pedophiles can become non-pedophiles.
To tell pedophiles that they cease to be pedophiles relieves them from any need to develop skills for managing that pedophilia (the current clinical consensus of the field). Although it is hoped that there may one day be methods to “convert” pedophiles into non-pedophiles, there is no evidence we are there yet.
KeywordsConversion therapy Pedophilia Paraphilia Sexual orientation Sexual preference Regression to the mean
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
James Cantor reports that he has been hired as an expert witness to summarize research relevant to this topic, in a constitutional challenge to minimum sentencing.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by the author.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: •• Of major importance
- 2.•• Dyshniku F, Murray ME, Fazio RL, Lykins AD, Cantor JM. Minor physical anomalies as a window into the prenatal origins of pedophilia. Arch Sex Behav. 2015;44:2151–9. Study provides direct, physical evidence of features of the body that develop before, and only before, birth being significantly different among pedophiles than non-pedophiles, demonstrating that the factors leading to pedophilia were in effect before birth.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.•• Fazio RL, Dyshniku F, Lykins AD, Cantor JM. Leg length versus torso length in pedophilia: further evidence of atypical physical development early in life. Sex Abus: J Res Treat. 2017;29:500–14. Study replicates the presence of significant differences in physical development among pedophiles and demonstrates the effect size to be substantially larger than what is typically associated with environmental factors but similar to neurodevelopmental ones. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.•• Fazio RL, Lykins AD, Cantor JM. Elevated rates of atypical-handedness in paedophilia: theory and implications. Laterality. 2014;19:690–704. Study replicates and extends finding of handedness differences among pedophiles. Because handedness is determined by brain structure (relative dominance of the cerebral hemispheres), the data demonstrate an association between pedophilia and brain structure. Because handedness develops before birth, the association indicates the neurological difference was present before birth. CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.•• Seto MC. Pedophilia and sexual offending against children: theory, assessment, and intervention. Washington, DC: APA Books; 2008. This book continues to serve as the most comprehensive text on the subject matter, including both clinical and theoretical aspects. Google Scholar
- 17.Fedoroff JP. Managing versus successfully treating paraphilic disorders. In Handbook of clinical sexuality for mental health professionals. Edited by Levine SB, Risen CB, Althof SE. Routledge; 2016:345–361.Google Scholar
- 18.Fedoroff JP. Interventions that work. In: Psychiatric times; 2016.Google Scholar
- 20.Cantor JM. Purported changes in pedophilia as statistical artifacts: comment on Müller et al.: (2014). Arch Sex Behav. 2015(44):253–4.Google Scholar
- 22.•• Mokros A, Habermeyer E. Regression to the mean mimicking changes in sexual arousal to child stimuli in pedophiles. Arch Sex Behav. 2016;45:1863–7. Analysis represents a perfect example of how to examine the validity of non-standard statistical methods, with simulations using the original dataset. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Blackwell T: (2017). Man says he was cured of pedophilia at Ottawa clinic: ‘It’s like a weight that’s been lifted’: but skeptics worry about the impact of sending pedophiles into the world convinced their curse has been vanquished. National Post. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ottawa-clinic-says-it-can-cure-pedophilia-but-critics-argue-the-claim-is-unproven-and-dangerous
- 24.Wiggin E: A cure for pedophilia: is there such a thing? Pedophiles about Pedophilia. (2017). https://medium.com/pedophiles-about-pedophilia/a-cure-for-pedophilia-20846b9c59bc.
- 25.TNF-13: Can pedophilia be changed? The scientific community says… Pedophiles About Pedophilia. (2017). https://medium.com/pedophiles-about-pedophilia/can-pedophilia-be-changed-the-scientific-community-says-8fd95ff11806.