Forensic Applications of “Sex Addiction” in US Legal Proceedings
- 183 Downloads
The term “sex addiction” has been popularized in recent years to describe a range of different problematic sexual behaviors which are assumed to be similar to being addicted to substances and lend themselves to similar treatment approaches. Other terms such as sexual compulsivity, sexual impulsivity, erotomania, hyperphilia, and hypersexuality have been proposed in the literature which assumes different mechanisms and treatment approaches. However, the term “sex addiction” remains the most widely used and recognized label, particularly in public parlance. The current paper presents several case examples to illustrate how the concept of “sex addiction” is having a significant impact in US legal proceedings. The authors offer some commentary about the relevance of these cases as they pertain to matters of criminal, civil, and administrative law.
Keywords“Sex addiction” Sexual compulsivity Sexual impulsivity Erotomania Hyperphilia and hypersexuality Forensic testimony Civil law Family law Criminal law
Compliance with Ethics Guidelines
Conflict of Interest
David J. Ley has testified as an expert witness in legal cases related to “sex addiction,” has received royalties from Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, is a paid blogger/writer for Psychology Today, and has had travel expenses covered by various media outlets for appearances on television shows.
Julie Brovko reports no relevant disclosures.
Rory Reid was the principal investigator for the DSM-5 field trial on hypersexual disorder. He receives funding from NIMH grants, consulting with universities and mental health agencies, and has been compensated for writing mental health-related articles for various websites. He has received honorariums or financial compensation for providing training or research consulting related to hypersexual behavior and gambling disorders from domestic and foreign government entities.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed., text rev. Arlington: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.••Colasurdo BS. Note: Behavioral addictions and the law. S Cal L Rev. 2010;84:161–99. P 2. Well-researched review and analysis of the legal standing and potential effects of testimony and evidence related to behavioral addictions.Google Scholar
- 8.Parker M. Current developments 2013–2014: addicted to lying, or lying about addiction? Distinguishing genuine addiction from gaming the system in assessing mitigated sanctions for process addictions. Geo J Leg Ethic. 2014;27:805–27.Google Scholar
- 9.State of Washington, Department of Health. Summary action order and statement of charges M-2014-517. 2014.Google Scholar
- 10.Burns F. Former Wisconsin district attorney suspended for sexual harassment. In: United Press International. 2014. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/06/06/Former-Wisconsin-district-attorney-suspended-for-sexual-harassment/3441402065490/. Accessed November 1, 2014
- 11.Heild, C. Doc faces eval for drinking, sex on job. Albuquerque Journal. January 8, 2015. http://www.abqjournal.com/523271/news/hobbs-ob-gyn-to-be-evaluated-for-sexual-addiction-recovery.html Accessed February 10, 2015.
- 12.New Mexico Medical Board. Stipulation of Licensure. No. 2014-043. In the matter of Christopher Driskill, M.D. License No. 2003-0585.Google Scholar
- 13.Eskridge v. Townsend, Wash: Court of Appeals, 3rd Div. 2013Google Scholar
- 14.State of Washington v Townsend. Case No. M2010-249Google Scholar
- 15.Subramanian C. Man sues apple for porn addiction. In: Law. Time Magazine. 2013. http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/17/man-sues-apple-for-porn-addiction/ Accessed November 1, 2014
- 16.Partice J. Apple porn guy wants to marry his porn filled computer. In: Above the law. 2014. http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/apple-porn-guy-wants-to-marry-his-porn-filled-computer-lets-all-laugh-at-his-motion/ Accessed November 1, 2014
- 17.Riddle v. Mondragon, 83 F. 3d 1197 - Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit 1996Google Scholar
- 18.Reid RC. Guest editorial: Personal perspectives on hypersexual disorder. Sex Addict Compulsivity. 2013;20:1–15.Google Scholar
- 19.Pribeck J. “Sex addiction” requires careful consideration. In: Wisconsin Law Journal. 2010. http://wislawjournal.com/2010/12/07/sex-addiction-requires-consideration/. Accessed November 1, 2014
- 20.Kraft v. Kraft, Del: Supreme Court 2011Google Scholar
- 21.Payton v. Payton, Ky: Court of Appeals 2012Google Scholar
- 22.Jones v. Jones, 43 So. 3d 465 - Miss: Court of Appeals 2009Google Scholar
- 23.Russman R. Criminal defense to a child pornography charge. In: Blog. Russman Law 2013. http://www.russmanlaw.com/blog/criminal-defense/sex-crimes/nh-criminal-defense-to-a-child-pornography-charge/ Accessed 2 Aug 2013.
- 24.People v. Hofsheier (2006) 37 Cal.4th 1185, 1197 (Hofsheier)Google Scholar
- 25.People v. Velasco, Cal: Court of Appeal, 2nd Appellate Dist., 8th Div. 2014Google Scholar
- 26.United States v. Caro, 309 F.3d 1348, 1353 (11th Cir. 2002)Google Scholar
- 27.Jacobson S, Sentinel, O. Child pornographer gets longer term for acts ‘far beyond heartland of depravity’ In: Collections. Orlando Sentinel. 2010. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-07-30/news/os-orlando-child-pornography-20100730_1_appeals-court-frank-irey-construction-william-irey Accessed November 1, 2014
- 28.Catanio P. Social worker: Williford is sex addict. In: ABC 11 eyewitness news. 2012. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8675237 Accessed November 1, 2014
- 29.Personal communication. David Saacks. Assistant district attorney. Raleigh, NC. November 25, 2014.Google Scholar
- 30.Frye v. United States (1923); Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals (1993).Google Scholar
- 32.People v. Gray, Cal: Court of Appeal, 5th Appellate Dist. 2014Google Scholar