Female sexual enhancers and Neutraceuticals
- 206 Downloads
Throughout the ages, humans have searched for new ways of enhancing sexuality and sexual performance. We review some of the more popular products, such as herbs, botanicals, combination products, and topical formulations that have been heralded as sexual enhancers or have mythological roots suggesting they can be used for the treatment of sexual dysfunction. Lastly, we discuss sexual touch (Tantra), aroma, nutrition, and exercise as modalities that have been used to improve or enhance sexual function.
KeywordsSexual Function Sexual Dysfunction Sexual Desire Female Sexual Function Index Female Sexual Dysfunction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 1.Harrar S, Vantine J: Extraordinary Togetherness: A Woman’s Guide to Love, Sex, and Intimacy. New York: St. Martin’s Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.Mason P: Dietary Supplements. London: Pharmaceutical Press; 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Morris KT, Toth-Fejel S, Schmidt J, et al.: High dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate predicts breast cancer progression during new aromatase inhibitor therapy and stimulates breast cancer cell growth in tissue culture: a renewed role for adrenalectomy. Surgery 2001, 130:947–953.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.DerMarderosian A: The Review of Natural Products. St. Louis: Facts and Comparisons; 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Schulz V, Hansel R, Tyler VE: Rational Phytotherapy: A Physician’s Guide to Herbal Medicine. New York: Springer; 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.Brinker F: Herb Contraindications and Drug Interactions, edn 2. Sandy, OR: Eclectic Med Publications; 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.Foster S: Herbs for Your Health. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press; 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.Mills S, Bone K: Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2000.Google Scholar
- 22.FTC Charges Sellers of Avlimil, Rogisen, and Other Dietary Supplements. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/02/avlimil.shtm. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 23.Avlimil Complete. http://www.avlimil.com. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 24.Female Sexual Enhancement (Xzite). http://xzite.org. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 25.Libidol female sexuality. http://libidol.com. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 27.Zestra Feminine Arousal Fluid. http://www.zestraforwomen.com. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 28.Viacreme Information. http://www.viacremedelight.com/product.asp. Accessed October 2, 2007.
- 29.Woods-Lavoie P: Scentual healing: find energy—and mystique—with aromatherapy and flower essences—natural beauty. Better Nutrition 2001. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_11_63/ai_83076751. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 30.Boere GC: General Psychology. The Emotional Nervous System. http://www.ship.edu/:_cgboeree/limbicsystem.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 32.Roybal BAP, Skowronski G: Herbs for romance. Better Nutrition 2000. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_2_62/ai_61361450. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 33.Furlow BF: The Smell of Love. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19960301-000030.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 35.Taylor R: The Story of Realm. Brave New Nose: Sniffing out human sexual chemistry. http://www.tdl.com/:_erox/SixthSense/StoryTwo.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 36.Azar B: Communicating through pheromones. http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan98/phero.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 38.Kohl J: Human pheromones: Mammalian olfactory, genetic, neuronal, hormonal and behavioral reciprocity, and human sexuality. Advances in Human Behavior and Evolution. http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/images/human_pheromones.htm. Accessed October 2, 2007.
- 39.Bruce A: Chemicals that cause excitement. Microscopy UK. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art97/pherom.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 40.Lindberg M: The Orgasmic Diet. New York: Crown Publishing Group; 2007.Google Scholar
- 41.McCloskey K: The Ultimate Sex Diet. Englewood, NJ: True Courage Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 42.Corn L: The Great American Sex Diet. New York: William Morrow; 2001.Google Scholar
- 43.Hopkins M, Lockridge R: The New InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook. Waco, TX: Terrace Publishing; 2007.Google Scholar
- 45.Waehner P: Improve your sex life with exercise. http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisehealth/a/sexandexercise.htm. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 46.Penhollow TM, Young M: Sexual desirability and sexual performance: does exercise and fitness really matter? http://www.ejhs.org/volume7/fitness.html. Accessed October 2, 2007.
- 47.Quest for the Advanced Condition: Sex and Exercise. http://www.qfac.com/articles/sexercise.html. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 48.Bumgardner W: Exercise can spice up your sex life. http://walking.about.com/od/malehealth/a/exersex2005.htm. Accessed September 5, 2007.
- 49.American Council on Exercise: Studies show exercise can improve your sex life. http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/pdfs/fitfacts/itemid_159.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2007.