van der Linden S, Valkenburg HA, Cats A. Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for ankylosing spondylitis: A proposal for modification of the New York criteria. Arthritis Rheum. 1984;27:361–8.
Dougados M, van der Linden S, Juhlin R, et al. The European Spondylarthropathy Study Group preliminary criteria for the classification of spondylarthropathy. Arthritis Rheum. 1991;34:1218–27.
• Colbert RA. Classification of juvenile spondyloarthritis: Enthesitis-related arthritis and beyond. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010;6:477–85. This article gives a concise summary of classification of juvenile spondyloarthropathy under the International League of Associations for Rheumatology classification of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Both the good points and deficiencies are noted.
Petty RE, Southwood TR, Manners P, et al. International League of Associations for Rheumatology classification of juvenile idiopathic arthritis: second revision, Edmonton, 2001. J Rheumatol. 2004;31:390–2.
Horneff G, Burgos-Vargas R. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Subgroup characteristics and comparisons between rheumatoid arthritis–like subgroups and ankylosing spondylitis–like subgroups. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2009;27:S131–8.
Sheerin KA, Giannini EH, Brewer Jr EJ, Barron KS. HLA-B27-associated arthropathy in childhood: long-term clinical and diagnostic outcome. Arthritis Rheum. 1988;31:1165–70.
Flato B, Smerdel A, Johnston V, et al. The influence of patient characteristics, disease variables, and HLA alleles on the development of radiographically evident sacroiliitis in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:986–94.
Burgos-Vargas R, Vazquez-Mellado J. The early clinical recognition of juvenile-onset ankylosing spondylitis and its differentiation from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1995;38:835–44.
Minden K, Niewerth M, Listing J, et al. Long-term outcome in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:2392–401.
•• Burgos-Vargas R. The assessment of the spondyloarthritis international society concept and criteria for the classification of axial spondyloarthritis and peripheral spondyloarthritis: a critical appraisal for the pediatric rheumatologist. Ped Rheumatol. 2012;10:14. Available at http://www.ped-rheum.com/content/10/1/14. This paper reviews the criteria for juvenile spondyloarthropathy proposed by the SpondyloArthritis International Society. This system groups all HLA-B27-related childhood arthritic disease together, with separate criteria for disease involving peripheral or axial joints. The author proposes that because of similar prognosis and treatment, juvenile spondyloarthropathies should be considered together as a single classification entity.
Hofer M, Southwood TR. Classification of childhood arthritis. Best Prac Res Clin Rheumatol. 2002;16:379–96.
Manners PJ, Bower C. Worldwide prevalence of juvenile arthritis why does it vary so much? J Rheumatol. 2002;29:1520–30.
Gomez KS, Raza K, Jones SD, Kennedy LG, Calin A. Juvenile onset ankylosing spondylitis—more girls than we thought? J Rheumatol. 1997;24:735–7.
Burgos-Vargas R, Vazquez-Mellado J, Pacheco-Tena C, Hernandez-Garduno A, Goycochea-Robles MV. A 26 week randomised, double blind, placebo controlled exploratory study of sulfasalazine in juvenile onset spondyloarthropathies. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:941–2.
Wanders A, Heijde D, Landewe R, et al. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs reduce radiographic progression in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a randomized clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:1756–65.
Homeff G, Burgos-Vargas R. TNF-alpha antagonists for the treatment of juvenile-onset spondyloarthritides. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2002;20 Suppl 28:S137–42.
Maghraoui AE, Tabache F, Bezza A, et al. A controlled study of sacroiliitis in Behcet's disease. Clin Rheumatol. 2001;20:189–91.
Radouane A, Oudghiri M, Chakib A, et al. HLA-B*27 allele associated to Behcet's disease and to anterior uveitis in Moroccan patients. Ann Biol Clin. 2011;69:419–24.
Bettencourt A, Pereira C, Carvalho L, et al. New insights of HLA class I association to Behcet's disease in Portuguese patients. Tissue Antigens. 2008;72:379–82.
Kasifoglu T, Calisir C, Cansu DU, Korkmaz C. The frequency of sacroiliitis in familial Mediterranean fever and the role of HLA-B27 and MEFV mutations in the development of sacroiliitis. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;28:41–6.
Cinar M, Dinc A, Simsek I, et al. The rate and significance of Mediterranean fever gene mutations in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a three-month, longitudinal clinical study. Rheumatol Int. 2008;29:37–42.
Ozgocmen S, Ardicoglu O, Kamanli A, et al. Pattern of disease onset, diagnostic delay, and clinical features in juvenile onset and adult onset ankylosing spondylitis. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:2830–33.
Marks SH, Barnett M, Calin A. A case–control study of juvenile- and adult-onset ankylosing spondylitis. J Rheumatol. 1982;9:739–41.
Stone M, Warren RW, Bruckel J, et al. Juvenile-onset ankylosing spondylitis is associated with worse functional outcomes than adult-onset ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;53:445–51.
• Maksymowych WP. MRI in ankylosing spondylitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2009;21:313–7. This paper thoroughly reviews the advances made in using MRI in ankylosing spondylitis, but there are no data about children.
Madsen KB, Schiottz-Christensen B, Jurik AG. Prognostic significance of magnetic resonance imaging changes of the sacroiliac joints in spondyloarthritis—a followup study. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:1718–27.
Bochkova AG, Levshakova AV, Bunchuk NV, Braun J. Spinal inflammation lesions as detected by magnetic resonance imaging in patients with early ankylosing spondylitis are more often observed in posterior structures of the spine. Rheumatology. 2010;49:749–55.
Yilmaz MH, Ozbayrak M, Kasapcopur O, et al. Pelvic MRI findings of juvenile-onset ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Rheumatol. 2010;29:1007–13.
Bollow M, Biedermann T, Kannenberg J, et al. Use of dynamic magnetic resonance imaging to detect sacroiliitis in HLA-B27 positive and negative children with juvenile arthritides. J Rheumatol. 1998;25:556–64.
• Stoll ML, Bhore R, Dempsey-Robertson M, Punaro M. Spondyloarthritis in a pediatric population: risk factors for sacroiliitis. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:2402–8. This interesting study from the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and the University of Texas Southwestern studied a large cohort of juvenile spondyloarthropathy. Sacroiliitis was found in about half of 143 patients. Hip disease predicted sacroiliitis, while dactylitis was associated with an absence of sacroiliitis.
Spadaro A, Iagnocco A, Baccano G, et al. Sonographic-detected joint effusion compared to physical examination in the assessment of sacroiliac joints in spondyloarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:1559–63.
Williamson L, Dockerty JL, Dalbeth N, et al. Clinical assessment of sacroiliitis and HLA-B27 are poor predictors of sacroiliitis diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging in psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology. 2004;43:85–8.
• Stoll ML, Nigrovic PA, Gotte AC, Punaro M. Clinical comparison of early-onset psoriatic and non-psoriatic oligoarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2011;29:582–8. This paper that studies a large group of patients continues the story that psoriatic-related juvenile arthritis is a distinct entity from ologoarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
• Stoll ML, Punaro M. Psoriatic juvenile idiopathic arthritis: a tale of two subgroups. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011;23:437–43. A concise review of the clinical heterogeneity of juvenile psoriatic arthritis.
• Sieper J. Spondyloarthropathies in 2010: new insights into therapy-TNF blockade and beyond. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011;7:78–80. A concise review of the role of anti-TNF therapy in spondyloarthritis
• Otten MH, Prince FH, Twilt M, et al. Tumor necrosis factor–blocking agents for children with enthesitis–related arthritis–data from the Dutch arthritis and biologicals in children register, 1999–2010. J Rheumatol. 2011;38:2258–63. Enthesis-related juvenile idiopathic arthritis responded well to etanercept.
•• Otten MH, Prince FH, Armbrust W, et al. Factors associated with treatment response to etanercept in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. JAMA. 2011;306:2340–7. This large ongoing prospective observational trial of biologics in JIA suggests that etanercept is highly efficacious in juvenile spondyloarthropathy.
Horneff G, De Bock F, Foeldvari I, et al. Safety and efficacy of combination of etanercept and methotrexate compared to treatment with etanercept only in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA): preliminary data from the German JIA Registry. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:519–25.
• Dougados M, Combe B, Braun J, et al. A randomised, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of etanercept in adults with refractory heel enthesitis in spondyloarthritis: the HEEL trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1430–5. High-quality evidence in the form of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, that anti-TNF is efficacious for Achilles’ tendon enthesitis. This evidence was obtained entirely in adult patients, however.
van der Heijde D, Landewe R, Einstein S, et al. Radiographic findings following two years of infliximab therapy in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3063–70.
•• Oen K, Duffy CM, Tse SM, et al. Early outcomes and improvement of patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis enrolled in a Canadian multicenter inception cohort. Arthritis Care Res. 2010;62:527–36. This is a study of a very large inception cohort of patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
Hage CA, Bowyer S, Tarvin SE, et al. Recognition, diagnosis, and treatment of histoplasmosis complicating tumor necrosis factor blocker therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:85–92.
Smith JA, Kauffman CA. Endemic fungal infections in patients receiving tumour necrosis factor-alpha inhibitor therapy. Drugs. 2009;69:1403–15.
Wetter DA, Davis MD. Lupus-like syndrome attributable to anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha therapy in 14 patients during an 8-year period at Mayo Clinic. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009;84:979–84.
• Solomon AJ, Spain RI, Kruer MC, Bourdette D. Inflammatory neurological disease in patients treated with tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitors. Mult Scler. 2010;17:1472–87. A nice case series and review of the literature.
Tarkiainen M, Tynjala P, Vahasalo P, Lahdenne P. Occurrence of inflammatory bowel disease in four patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis receiving etanercept or infliximab. Scand J Rheumatol. 2011;40:150–2.
Gaddy JR, Khan ZZ, Chaser B, Scofield RH. Whipple's disease diagnosis following the use of TNF-a blockade. Rheumatology. 2012;51:946.
Kakkassery V, Mergler S, Pleyer U. Anti-TNF-alpha treatment: a possible promoter in endogenous uveitis? observational report on six patients: occurrence of uveitis following etanercept treatment. Curr Eye Res. 2010;35:751–6.