American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th ed. Washington: Author; 2013.
World Health Organization. ICD-11 for mortality and morbidity statistics. 2019. https://icd.who.int. Accessed 10 July 2019.
von Krafft-Ebing R. Psychopathia sexualis, with especial reference to the antipathic sexual instinct: a medico-forensic study. 12th ed. New York: Rebman; 1906.
• De Neef N, Coppens V, Huys W, Morrens M. Bondage-Discipline, Dominance-Submission and Sadomasochism (BDSM) from an integrative biopsychosocial perspective: a systematic review. J Sex Med. 2019;7:129–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esxm.2019.02.002. A systematic review of consensual variants of sadism (BDSM) from a biopsychological perspective. Complementary to the present article.
Paulhus DL, Dutton DG. Everyday sadism. In: Zeigler-Hill V, Marcus DK, editors. The dark side of personality: science and practice in social, personality, and clinical psychology. Washington: American Psychological Association; 2016. p. 109–20.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 3rd ed. Washington: Author; 1987.
• Darjee R. Sexual sadism and psychopathy in sexual homicide offenders: an exploration of their associates in a clinical sample. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2019;63:1738–65. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306624X19836872.
• Eher R, Rettenberger M, Turner D. The prevalence of mental disorders in incarcerated contact sexual offenders. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2019;139:572–81. https://doi.org/10.1111/acps.13024.
•• Gonçalves LC, Rossegger A, Gerth J, Singh JP, Endrass J. Sexual sadism among sex offenders in Switzerland. Sex Abuse. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1177/1079063218800473. With this empirical study the authors tested the association between sexual sadism and offense recidivism.
• Oswald P, Ducro C, Alvarez L, Pham T. Évaluation du sadisme sexuel sévère dans un population médico-légale: Validation francophone de la Sexual Sadism Scale (SESAS) [Evaluation of Severe Sexual Sadism in a Forensic Population: French Validation of the Sexual Sadism Scale (SESAS)]. Ann Méd-Psychol. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amp.2018.03.013.
• Reale K, Beauregard E, Martineau M. Is investigative awareness a distinctive feature of sexual sadism? J Interpers Viol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260517698824.
• Reale K, Beauregard E, Martineau M. Sadism in sexual homicide offenders: Identifying distinct groups. J Criminal Psychol. 2017;7:120–33. https://doi.org/10.1108/JCP-11-2016-0042.
Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. PLoS Med. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed1000097.
• Sea J, Beauregard E. The hebephiliac: pedophile or teleiophiliac? Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2018;62:2507–26.
• Sea J, Kim K, Youngs D. Behavioural profiles and offender characteristics across 111 Korean sexual assaults. J Invest Psychol Off. 2016;13:3–21.
• Stupperich A, Strack M. Among a German sample of forensic patients, previous animal abuse mediates between psychopathy and sadistic actions. J Forensic Sci. 2016;61:699–705.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed. Washington: Author; 2000.
•• Baur E, Forsman M, Santtila P, Johansson A, Sandnabba K, et al. Paraphilic sexual interests and sexually coercive behavior: a population-based twin study. Arch Sex Behav. 2016;45:1163–72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-015-0674-2. With this empirical study, the authors tested the associations of paraphilic interests (including sadism) with sexually coercive behavior in a large population-based sample.
• Harrati S, Coulanges M, Derivois D, Vavassori D. Qualitative study on the traumatic experiences of female sex offenders. J Loss Trauma. 2018;23:271–86. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325024.2018.1436869.
Mokros A, Schilling F, Weiss K, Nitschke J, Eher R. Sadism in sexual offenders: evidence for dimensionality. Psychol Assess. 2014;26:138–47. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0034861.
• Yoon D, Mauzaite A, Mokros A. Sexual Sadism Scale. In: Milhausen RR, Sakaluk JK, Fisher TD, Davis CM, Yarber WL, editors. Handbook of sexuality-related measures. 4th ed. New York: Routledge; 2019. p. 525-527. Within this chapter, the authors provide a summary of the Sexual Sadism Scale (SeSaS): development, psychometric properties, item descriptions, and scoring.
• Stefanska EB, Nitschke J, Carter AJ, Mokros A. Sadism among sexual homicide offenders: validation of the Sexual Sadism Scale. Psychol Assess. 2019;31:132–7. https://doi.org/10.1037/pas0000653.
• Longpré N, Guay JP, Knight RA. MTC Sadism Scale: toward a dimensional assessment of severe sexual sadism with behavioral markers. Assessment. 2019;26:70–84. https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191117737377.
• Longpré N, Guay JP, Knight RA. MTC Sadism Scale. In: Milhausen RR, Sakaluk JK, Fisher TD, Davis CM, Yarber WL, editors. Handbook of sexuality-related measures. 4th ed. New York: Routledge; 2019. p. 518-520. Within this chapter, the authors provide a summary of the MTC Sadism Scale: development, psychometric properties, item descriptions, and scoring.
•• Longpré N, Guay JP, Knight RA, Benbouriche M. Sadistic offender or sexual sadism? Taxometric evidence for a dimensional structure of sexual sadism. Arch Sex Behav. 2018;47:403–16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-017-1068-4 A study on the latent structure of sexual sadism, providing evidence for a dimensional view.
• Longpré N, Proulx J, Brouillette-Alarie S. Convergent validity of three measures of sexual sadism: value of a dimensional measure. Sex Abuse. 2018;30:192–208. https://doi.org/10.1177/1079063216649592.
• Schaaf S, Jeglic EL, Calkins C, Raymaekers L, Leguizamo A. Examining ethno-racial related differences in child molester typology: an MTC:CM3 approach. J Interpers Viol. 2019;34:1683–702. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260516653550.
• Healey J, Beauregard E, Beech A, Vettor S. Is the sexual murderer a unique type of offender? A typology of violent sexual offenders using crime scene behaviors. Sex Abuse. 2016;28:512–33.
• Chan HC, Beauregard E. Non-homicidal and homicidal sexual offenders: prevalence of maladaptive personality traits and paraphilic behaviors. J Interpers Violence. 2016;31:2259–90.
• Healey J, Beauregard E. Impulsivity as an etiological factor in sexual homicide. J Crim Justice. 2017;48:30–6.
• Higgs T, Carter AJ, Stefanska EB, Glorney E. (2017). Toward identification of the sexual killer: a comparison of sexual killers engaging in post-mortem sexual interference and non-homicide sexual aggressors. Sex Abuse. 2017;29:479–99.
• Higgs T, Stefanska E, Carter AJ, Browne KD. The developmental and criminal histories of subgroups of sexual murderers engaging, or not engaging, in post mortem sexual interference, compared to rapists. J Crim Justice. 2017;53:92–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2017.10.001.
• Stefanska EB, Higgs T, Carter AJ, Beech AR. When is a murder a sexual murder? Understanding the sexual element in the classification of sexual killings. J Crim Justice. 2017;50:53–61.
• DeLisi M, Drury A, Elbert M, Tahja K, Caropreso D, Heinrichs T. Sexual sadism and criminal versatility: does sexual sadism spillover into nonsexual crimes? J Aggress Confl Peace Res. 2017;9:2–12. https://doi.org/10.1108/JACPR-05-2016-0229.
• DeLisi M, Drury AJ, Caropreso D, Heinrichs T, Tahja KN, Elbert MJ. Antisocial Personality Disorder with or without antecedent conduct disorder: the differences are psychiatric and paraphilic. Crim Justice Behav. 2018;45:902–17.
• Eher R, Schilling F, Hansmann B, Pumberger T, Nitschke J, et al. Sexual sadism and violent reoffending. Sex Abuse. 2016;28:46–72. https://doi.org/10.1177/1079063214566715.
Marshall WL, Kennedy P, Yates P, Serran GA. Diagnosing sexual sadism in sexual offenders; Reliability across diagnosticians. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2002;46:668–76. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306624X02238161.
• Proulx J, Beauregard E, Carter AJ, Mokros A, Darjee R, James J, editors. Routledge international handbook of sexual homicide studies. 1st ed. Abingdon: Routledge; 2018. An edited book on sexual homicide that includes a five-chapter section on sexual sadism
• Harenski CL, Thornton DM, Harenski KA, Decety J, Kiehl KA. Increased frontotemporal activation during pain observation in sexual sadism. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012;69:283–92. A functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study of 8 sexual sadists viewing pictures of individuals in pain. Stronger amygdala activation compared with 7 non-sadistic individuals.
Laws DR, Meyer J, Holmen ML. Reduction of sadistic sexual arousal by olfactory aversion: a case study. Behav Res Ther. 1978;16:281–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(78)90026-8.
Marks I, Gelder M, Bancroft J. Sexual deviants two years after electric aversion. Brit J Psychiatry. 1970;117:173–85. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.117.537.173.
Mees HL. Sadistic fantasies modified by aversive conditioning and substitution: a case study. Behav Res Therapy. 1966;4:317–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(66)90028-3.
Davison GC. Elimination of a sadistic fantasy by a client-controlled counterconditioning technique: a case study. J Abnormal Psychol. 1968;73:84–90. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0025440.
Hayes SC, Brownell KD, Barlow DH. The use of self-administered covert sensitization in the treatment of exhibitionism and sadism. Behav Ther. 1978;9:283–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(78)80114-2.
Kraus C, Strohm K, Hill A, Habermann N, Berner W, Briken P. Selektive Serotoninwiederaufnahmehemmer (SSRI) in der Behandlung von Paraphilien [Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) in the treatment of paraphilia: a retrospective study]. Fortschr Neurol Psychiat. 2007;75:351–6. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-944261.