Differential Diagnosis of Crohn’s Disease Versus Ileal Tuberculosis
- 629 Downloads
Both intestinal tuberculosis and Crohn’s disease are chronic granulomatous inflammatory diseases of the bowel having overlap of clinical, endoscopic, radiological, and histological features. Differentiating between the two disorders is relevant not only in Asian countries but also in the West. In spite of diagnostic criteria for both diseases being available, still the dilemma of segregating the two diseases remains. Nearly one third of the patients with Crohn’s disease may receive anti-tuberculosis treatment also. Diagnosis should be based on the combination of all disease-specific and corroborative evidences.
KeywordsIntestinal tuberculosis Crohn’s disease Differentiation Tuberculosis
Compliance with Ethics Guidelines
Conflict of Interest
Ajit Sood, Vandana Midha, and Arshdeep Singh declare no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Marshal JB. Tuberculosis of the gastrointestinal tract and peritoneum. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993;88:989–99.Google Scholar
- 5.Jayanthi V, Robinson RJ, Malathi S, Rani B, Balambal R, Chari S, et al. Does Crohn’s disease need differentiation from tuberculosis? J GastroenterolHepatol. 1996;11(2):183–6.Google Scholar
- 10.Jr AS WW, Janda W, Koneman E, Procop G, Schreckenberger P, Woods G. Koneman’s color atlas and text book of diagnostic microbiology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006. p. 1064–124.Google Scholar
- 12.Amarapurkar DN, Patel ND, Amarapurkar AD, Agal S, Baigal R, Gupte P. Tissue polymerase chain reaction in diagnosis of intestinal tuberculosis and Crohn’s disease. J Assoc Physician India. 2004;52:863–7.Google Scholar
- 14.Balamurugan R, Venkataraman S, John KR, Ramakrishna BS. PCR amplification of the IS6110 insertion element of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in fecal samples from patients with intestinal tuberculosis. J ClinMicrobiol. 2006;44(5):1884–6.Google Scholar
- 23.Kirsch R, Pentecost M, de M Hall P, Epstein DP, Watermeyer G, Friederich PW. Role of colonoscopic biopsy in distinguishing between Crohn’s disease and intestinal tuberculosis. J ClinPathol 2006;59(8):840–4.Google Scholar
- 29.Liu TH, Pan GZ, Chen MZ. Crohn’s disease. Clinico pathologic manifestations and differential diagnosis from enterocolonic tuberculosis. Chin Med J (Engl). 1981;94:431–40.Google Scholar
- 33.Guidelines and recommendations on the use of quantiFERON-TB Gold for the diagnosis of active and latent tuberculosis infection. Indiana State Department of Health. 2007.Google Scholar