Longstreth GF, Thompson WG, Chey WD, Houghton LA, Mearin F, Spiller RC. Functional bowel disorders. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:1480–91.
• Drossman DA, Chang L, Bellamy N, Gallo-Torres HE, Lembo A, Mearin F, Norton NJ, Whorwell P. Severity in irritable bowel syndrome: a Rome Foundation Working Team report. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:1749–59. Study demosntrating how to assess severity in IBS.
Lovell RM, Ford AC. Global Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012 [Epub ahead of print].
Drossman DA, Creed FH, Olden KW, Svedlund J, Toner BB, Whitehead WE. Psychosocial aspects of the functional gastrointestinal disorders. Gut. 1999;45 Suppl 2:II25–30.
Gunnarsson J, Simren M. Peripheral factors in the pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome. Dig Liver Dis. 2009;41:788–93.
Akehurst R, Kaltenthaler E. Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: a review of randomised controlled trials. Gut. 2001;48:272–82.
Kearney DJ, Brown-Chang J. Complementary and alternative medicine for IBS in adults: mind-body interventions. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;5:624–36.
Koloski NA, Talley NJ, Huskic SS, Boyce PM. Predictors of conventional and alternative health care seeking for irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003;17:841–51.
Kong SC, Hurlstone DP, Pocock CY, Walkington LA, Farquharson NR, Bramble MG, McAlindon ME, Sanders DS. The Incidence of self-prescribed oral complementary and alternative medicine use by patients with gastrointestinal diseases. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;39:138–41.
• van Tilburg MA, Palsson OS, Levy RL, Feld AD, Turner MJ, Drossman DA, Whitehead WE. Complementary and alternative medicine use and cost in functional bowel disorders: a six month prospective study in a large HMO. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2008;8:46. Careful study demonstrating the use of CAM in patients with functional bowel disorders in a large HMO.
• Lackner JM, Mesmer C, Morley S, Dowzer C, Hamilton S. Psychological treatments for irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004;72:1100–13. Well performed meta-analysis of psychological treatments in IBS.
Drossman DA. Abuse, trauma, and GI illness: is there a link? Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:14–25.
Cho HS, Park JM, Lim CH, Cho YK, Lee IS, Kim SW, Choi MG, Chung IS, Chung YK. Anxiety, depression and quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut Liver. 2011;5:29–36.
•• Ford AC, Talley NJ, Schoenfeld PS, Quigley EM, Moayyedi P. Efficacy of antidepressants and psychological therapies in irritable bowel syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis. Gut. 2009;58:367–78. Well performed meta-analysis of psychological treatments in IBS.
Blanchard EB, Scharff L. Psychosocial aspects of assessment and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome in adults and recurrent abdominal pain in children. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2002;70:725–38.
Brandt LJ, Bjorkman D, Fennerty MB, Locke GR, Olden K, Peterson W, Quigley E, Schoenfeld P, Schuster M, Talley N. Systematic review on the management of irritable bowel syndrome in North America. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:S7–26.
Spanier JA, Howden CW, Jones MP. A systematic review of alternative therapies in the irritable bowel syndrome. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:265–74.
• Lindfors P, Unge P, Nyhlin H, Ljotsson B, Bjornsson ES, Abrahamsson H, Simren M. Long-term effects of hypnotherapy in patients with refractory irritable bowel syndrome. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2012;47:414–20. Study demonstrating long-term effects of gut-directed hypnotherapy in IBS.
Ljotsson B, Andersson G, Andersson E, Hedman E, Lindfors P, Andreewitch S, Ruck C, Lindefors N. Acceptability, effectiveness, and cost-effectiveness of internet-based exposure treatment for irritable bowel syndrome in a clinical sample: a randomized controlled trial. BMC gastroenterology. 2011;11:110.
Moss-Morris R, McAlpine L, Didsbury LP, Spence MJ. A randomized controlled trial of a cognitive behavioural therapy-based self-management intervention for irritable bowel syndrome in primary care. Psychol Med. 2010;40:85–94.
Asare F, Simren M. Mindfulness-based stress reduction in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;34:578–9. author reply 579–80.
Kearney DJ, McDermott K, Martinez M, Simpson TL. Association of participation in a mindfulness programme with bowel symptoms, gastrointestinal symptom-specific anxiety and quality of life. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;34:363–73.
Lackner JM, Jaccard J, Krasner SS, Katz LA, Gudleski GD, Holroyd K. Self-administered cognitive behavior therapy for moderate to severe irritable bowel syndrome: clinical efficacy, tolerability, feasibility. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:899–906.
Ljotsson B, Andreewitch S, Hedman E, Ruck C, Andersson G, Lindefors N. Exposure and mindfulness based therapy for irritable bowel syndrome–an open pilot study. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2010;41:185–90.
Ljotsson B, Falk L, Vesterlund AW, Hedman E, Lindfors P, Ruck C, Hursti T, Andreewitch S, Jansson L, Lindefors N, Andersson G. Internet-delivered exposure and mindfulness based therapy for irritable bowel syndrome–a randomized controlled trial. Behav Res Ther. 2010;48:531–9.
• Ljotsson B, Hedman E, Andersson E, Hesser H, Lindfors P, Hursti T, Rydh S, Ruck C, Lindefors N, Andersson G. Internet-delivered exposure-based treatment vs. stress management for irritable bowel syndrome: a randomized trial. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:1481–91. Pioneering study using the internet to treat patients with IBS.
Andersson E, Ljotsson B, Smit F, Paxling B, Hedman E, Lindefors N, Andersson G, Ruck C. Cost-effectiveness of internet-based cognitive behavior therapy for irritable bowel syndrome: results from a randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:215.
Lackner JM, Gudleski GD, Keefer L, Krasner SS, Powell C, Katz LA. Rapid response to cognitive behavior therapy predicts treatment outcome in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;8:426–32.
Wallin J, Ringström G, Agerforz P, Asare F, Simren M. Nurse administered gut-directed hypnotherapy in functional bowel disorders: Efficacy and factors predicting a positive response. Gut. 2011;60:A207.
• Lindfors P, Unge P, Arvidsson P, Nyhlin H, Bjornsson E, Abrahamsson H, Simren M. Effects of gut-directed hypnotherapy on IBS in different clinical settings-results from two randomized, controlled trials. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:276–85. Study demonstrating the usefulness of gut-directed hypnotherapy outside highly specialized hypnotherapy centres.
Heymann-Monnikes I, Arnold R, Florin I, Herda C, Melfsen S, Monnikes H. The combination of medical treatment plus multicomponent behavioral therapy is superior to medical treatment alone in the therapy of irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000;95:981–94.
Svedlund J, Sjodin I, Dotevall G, Gillberg R. Upper gastrointestinal and mental symptoms in the irritable bowel syndrome. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1985;20:595–601.
Simren M, Mansson A, Langkilde AM, Svedlund J, Abrahamsson H, Bengtsson U, Bjornsson ES. Food-related gastrointestinal symptoms in the irritable bowel syndrome. Digestion. 2001;63:108–15.
• Eswaran S, Tack J, Chey WD. Food: the forgotten factor in the irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2011;40:141–62. Review on the role of food in IBS.
Simren M, Abrahamsson H, Bosaeus I, Brummer RJ, Dolk A, Lindberg G, Nyhlin H, Ohlsson B, Sjolund K, Tornblom H. Nutritional aspects in patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders and motor dysfunction in the gut. Working team report of the Swedish Motility Group (SMoG). Dig Liver Dis. 2007;39:495–504.
Burden S. Dietary treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: current evidence and guidelines for future practice. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2001;14:231–41.
• Heizer WD, Southern S, McGovern S. The role of diet in symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in adults: a narrative review. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:1204–14. Review on the dietary interventions in IBS.
Williams EA, Nai X, Corfe BM. Dietary intakes in people with irritable bowel syndrome. BMC Gastroenterol. 2011;11:9.
Saito YA, Locke 3rd GR, Weaver AL, Zinsmeister AR, Talley NJ. Diet and functional gastrointestinal disorders: a population-based case–control study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005;100:2743–8.
Hussain Z, Quigley EM. Systematic review: Complementary and alternative medicine in the irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006;23:465–71.
McFarland LV, Dublin S. Meta-analysis of probiotics for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:2650–61.
Moayyedi P, Ford AC, Talley NJ, Cremonini F, Foxx-Orenstein AE, Brandt LJ, Quigley EM. The efficacy of probiotics in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review. Gut. 2010;59:325–32.
• Gibson PR, Shepherd SJ. Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25:252–8. Review explaining the FODMAP approach.
Rogers J, Henry MM, Misiewicz JJ. Increased segmental activity and intraluminal pressures in the sigmoid colon of patients with the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 1989;30:634–41.
Narducci F, Bassotti G, Granata MT, Pelli MA, Gaburri M, Palumbo R, Morelli A. Colonic motility and gastric emptying in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Effect of pretreatment with octylonium bromide. Dig Dis Sci. 1986;31:241–6.
Simren M, Abrahamsson H, Bjornsson ES. An exaggerated sensory component of the gastrocolonic response in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2001;48:20–7.
Simren M, Agerforz P, Bjornsson ES, Abrahamsson H. Nutrient-dependent enhancement of rectal sensitivity in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2007;19:20–9.
Bijkerk CJ, de Wit NJ, Muris JW, Whorwell PJ, Knottnerus JA, Hoes AW. Soluble or insoluble fibre in irritable bowel syndrome in primary care? Randomised placebo controlled trial. BMJ. 2009;339:b3154.
Francis CY, Whorwell PJ. Bran and irritable bowel syndrome: time for reappraisal. Lancet. 1994;344:39–40.
Jailwala J, Imperiale TF, Kroenke K. Pharmacologic treatment of the irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:136–47.
Bijkerk CJ, Muris JW, Knottnerus JA, Hoes AW, de Wit NJ. Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004;19:245–51.
Giannini EG, Mansi C, Dulbecco P, Savarino V. Role of partially hydrolyzed guar gum in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Nutrition. 2006;22:334–42.
Paineau D, Payen F, Panserieu S, Coulombier G, Sobaszek A, Lartigau I, Brabet M, Galmiche JP, Tripodi D, Sacher-Huvelin S, Chapalain V, Zourabichvili O, Respondek F, Wagner A, Bornet FR. The effects of regular consumption of short-chain fructo-oligosaccharides on digestive comfort of subjects with minor functional bowel disorders. Br J Nutr. 2008;99:311–8.
Dainese R, Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada JR. Effects of physical activity on intestinal gas transit and evacuation in healthy subjects. Am J Med. 2004;116:536–9.
Mannerkorpi K. Exercise in fibromyalgia. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005;17:190–4.
Blumenthal JA, Babyak MA, Doraiswamy PM, Watkins L, Hoffman BM, Barbour KA, Herman S, Craighead WE, Brosse AL, Waugh R, Hinderliter A, Sherwood A. Exercise and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Psychosom Med. 2007;69:587–96.
Whitehead WE, Palsson O, Jones KR. Systematic review of the comorbidity of irritable bowel syndrome with other disorders: what are the causes and implications? Gastroenterology. 2002;122:1140–56.
De Schryver AM, Keulemans YC, Peters HP, Akkermans LM, Smout AJ, De Vries WR, van Berge-Henegouwen GP. Effects of regular physical activity on defecation pattern in middle-aged patients complaining of chronic constipation. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2005;40:422–9.
Lustyk MK, Jarrett ME, Bennett JC, Heitkemper MM. Does a physically active lifestyle improve symptoms in women with irritable bowel syndrome? Gastroenterol Nurs. 2001;24:129–37.
Kim YJ, Ban DJ. Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome, influence of lifestyle factors and bowel habits in Korean college students. Int J Nurs Stud. 2005;42:247–54.
• Johannesson E, Simren M, Strid H, Bajor A, Sadik R. Physical activity improves symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:915–22. Pioneering study assessing physical activity as a treatment option in IBS.
Oettle GJ. Effect of moderate exercise on bowel habit. Gut. 1991;32:941–4.
Villoria A, Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada JR. Physical activity and intestinal gas clearance in patients with bloating. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:2552–7.
Moses FM. The effect of exercise on the gastrointestinal tract. Sports Med. 1990;9:159–72.
Posserud I, Agerforz P, Ekman R, Bjornsson ES, Abrahamsson H, Simren M. Altered visceral perceptual and neuroendocrine response in patients with irritable bowel syndrome during mental stress. Gut. 2004;53:1102–8.
Dishman RK, Berthoud HR, Booth FW, Cotman CW, Edgerton VR, Fleshner MR, Gandevia SC, Gomez-Pinilla F, Greenwood BN, Hillman CH, Kramer AF, Levin BE, Moran TH, Russo-Neustadt AA, Salamone JD, Van Hoomissen JD, Wade CE, York DA, Zigmond MJ. Neurobiology of exercise. Obesity. 2006;14:345–56.
• Manheimer E, Wieland LS, Cheng K, Li SM, Shen X, Berman BM, Lao L. Acupuncture for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2012 [Epub ahead of print]. Excellent review on acupuncture in IBS.
Liu JP, Yang M, Liu YX, Wei ML, Grimsgaard S. Herbal medicines for treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006:CD004116.
Tovey P. A single-blind trial of reflexology for irritable bowel syndrome. Br J Gen Pract. 2002;52:19–23.