Sentiment Analysis of Code-Mixed Bambara-French Social Media Text Using Deep Learning Techniques
- 6 Downloads
The global growth of the Internet and the rapid expansion of social networks such as Facebook make multilingual sentiment analysis of social media content very necessary. This paper performs the first sentiment analysis on code-mixed Bambara-French Facebook comments. We develop four Long Short-term Memory (LSTM)-based models and two Convolutional Neural Network (CNN)-based models, and use these six models, Naïve Bayes, and Support Vector Machines (SVM) to conduct experiments on a constituted dataset. Social media text written in Bambara is scarce. To mitigate this weakness, this paper uses dictionaries of character and word indexes to produce character and word embedding in place of pre-trained word vectors. We investigate the effect of comment length on the models and perform a comparison among them. The best performing model is a one-layer CNN deep learning model with an accuracy of 83.23 %.
Key wordssentiment analysis code-mixed Bambara-French Facebook comments deep learning Long Short-Term Memory( LSTM) Convolutional Neural Network (CNN)
CLC numberTP 391.1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Long J, Yu M, Zhou M, et al. Target-dependent Twitter sentiment classification[C]// Proceedings of the 49th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics. Oregon: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2011: 151–160.Google Scholar
- Go A, Bhayani R, Huang L. Twitter Sentiment Classification Using Distant Supervision[EB/OL]. [2018-03-14]. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228523135_ Twitter_ sentiment_ classification_using_distant_supervision.
- Pang B, Lee L, Vaithyanathan S. Thumbs up ? Sentiment classification using machine learning techniques[C]// Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. Philadelphia: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2002: 79–86.Google Scholar
- Bing L. Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining[M]. Williston: Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2012.Google Scholar
- Mohammad S M, Kiritchenko S, Zhu X. NRC-Canada: Building the state-of-the-art in sentiment analysis of Tweets[C] //Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation. Atlanta: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2013: 321–327.Google Scholar
- Wang X, Liu Y, Sun C, et al. Predicting polarities of Tweets by composing word embeddings with Long Short-Term Memory[C]// Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing. Beijing: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2015: 1343–1353.Google Scholar
- Severyn A, Moschitti A. UNITN: Training deep convolutional neural network for twitter sentiment classification[J]. Semeval, 2014, 54(2): 161–176.Google Scholar
- Santosd C N, Gatti M. Deep convolutional neural networks for sentiment analysis of short texts[C]// Proceedings of COLING the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics: Technical Papers. Dublin: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2014: 69–78.Google Scholar
- Chang J C, Lin C. Recurrent-Neural-Network for Language Detection on Twitter Code-Switching Corpus[EB/OL]. [2018-03-14]. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.4314.pdf.
- Joshi A K. Processing of sentences with intra-sentential code-switching[C] // Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Computational Linguistics. Prague: Association for Computational Linguistics, 1982: 145–150.Google Scholar
- Collobert R, Weston J, Karlen M, et al. Natural language processing (Almost) from scratch [J]. J Mach Learn Res, 2011, 12: 2493–2537.Google Scholar
- Kim Y, Jernite Y, David S, et al. Character-aware neural language models [C] // Thirtieth AAAI Conf Artif Intell. Phoenix: AAAI Press, 2016: 2741–2749.Google Scholar
- Hinton G E, Srivastava N, Krizhevsky, et al. Improving Neural Networks by Preventing Co-adaptation of Feature Detectors [EB/OL]. [2018-03-14].https://arxiv.org/pdf/1207. 0580. pdf.
- Brownlee J. What is the Difference Between Test and Validation Datasets?[EB/OL]. [2018-04-06]. https://machine learningmastery.com/difference-test-validation-datasets/.Google Scholar
- MacLachlan Geoffrey J, Do K-A, Ambroise K. Analyzing Microarray Gene Expression Data[M]. Hoboken: Willey, 2013.Google Scholar
- Al-Rfou R, Alain G, Almahairi A, et al. Theano: A Python Framework for Fast Computation of Mathematical Expressions [EB/OL].[2018-03-14]. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605. 02688.pdf.
- Pedregosa F, Varoquaux G, Gramfort A, et al. Scikit-learn: Machine learning in Python[J]. J Mach Learn Res, 2012, 12(10): 2825–2830.Google Scholar