Making sense of teaching
This article begins with a series of meta-level comments on the enterprise of observing and theorizing classroom teaching, using as a springboard a frequently discussed model from the literature. It then provides a series of commentaries on the empirical articles in this issue (volume 48, issue 1) of ZDM, with a main focus on methodological issues. It concludes with a brief return to the meta-level, with a comment on the field’s use of the term “model”.
KeywordsTeacher proficiency Classroom observations Theory Research methods Models
- Bell, A. (1993). Some experiments in diagnostic teaching. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 24(1), 11–137.Google Scholar
- Bell, A., Swan, M., Onslow, B., Pratt, K., & Purdy, D. (1985). Diagnostic teaching: teaching for long term learning. Nottingham: Shell Centre for mathematical education.Google Scholar
- Bishop, A. J., & Whitfield, R. C. (1972). Situations in teaching. London: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Bransford, J., Brown, A., & Cocking, R. (Eds.). (2000). How people learn (Expanded ed.). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Bruckmaier, G., Krauss, S., Blum, W., & Leiss, D. (2016). Measuring mathematical teachers’ professional competence by using video clips (COACTIV video). ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Dunekacke, S., Jenßen, L., Eilerts, K., & Blömeke, S. (2016). Epistemological beliefs of prospective preschool teachers and their relation to knowledge, perception, and planning abilities in the field of mathematics: a process model. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0711-6 (this issue).
- Dyer, E.B., & Sherin, M.G. (2016). Instructional reasoning about interpretations of student thinking that supports responsive teaching in secondary mathematics. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0740-1 (this issue).
- Gladwell, M. (2008). Outliers: the story of success. New York: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Herbst, P., Chazan, D., Kosko, K.W., Dimmel, J., & Erickson, A. (2016). Using multimedia questionnaires to study influences on the decisions mathematics teachers make in instructional situations. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0727-y (this issue).
- Hoth, J., Döhrmann, M., Kaiser, G., Busse, A., König, J., & Blömeke, S. (2016). Diagnostic competence of primary school mathematics teachers during classroom situations. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Hoth, J., Schwarz, B., Kaiser, G., Busse, A., König, J., & Blömeke, S. (2016). Uncovering predictors of disagreement: ensuring the quality of expert ratings. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Jacobs, V.R., & Empson, S.B. (2016). Responding to children’s mathematical thinking in the moment: an emerging framework of teaching moves. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0717-0 (this issue).
- Kersting, N.B., Sutton, T., Kalinec-Craig, C., Jablon Stoehr, K., Heshmati, S., Lozano, G., & Stigler, J.W. (2016). Further exploration of the classroom video analysis (CVA) instrument as a measure of usable knowledge for teaching mathematics: taking a knowledge system perspective. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0733-0 (this issue).
- König, J., & Kramer, C. (2016). Teacher professional knowledge and classroom management: on the relation of general pedagogical knowledge (GPK) and classroom management expertise (CME). ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0705-4 (this issue).
- Lande, E., & Mesa, V. (2016). Instructional decision making and agency of community college mathematics faculty. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0736-x (this issue).
- Pankow, L., Kaiser, G., Busse, A., König, J., Hoth, J., Döhrmann, M., & Blömeke, S. (2016). Early career teachers’ ability to focus on typical students errors in relation to the complexity of a mathematical topic. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Ridgway, J., Crust, R., Burkhardt, H., Wilcox, S., Fisher, L., & Foster, D. (2000). MARS report on the 2000 tests. San Jose: Mathematics Assessment Collaborative.Google Scholar
- Santagata, R., & Yeh, C. (2016). The role of perception, interpretation, and decision making in the development of beginning teachers’ competence. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1). doi: 10.1007/s11858-015-0737-9 (this issue).
- Schlesinger, L., & Jentsch, A. (2016). Theoretical and methodological challenges in measuring instructional quality in mathematics education using classroom observations. ZDM Mathematics Education, 48(1) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Schoenfeld, A. H. (2000). Purposes and methods of research in mathematics education. Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 47(6), 2–10.Google Scholar
- Schoenfeld, A. H. (2011). How we think: a theory of goal-oriented decision making and its educational applications. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Schoenfeld, A.H. (2013). Classroom observations in theory and practice. ZDM—The International Journal of Mathematics Education, 45, 607–621. doi: 10.1007/s11858-012-0483-1.
- Schoenfeld, A.H., Floden, R.E., and The Algebra Teaching Study and Mathematics Assessment Projects. (2016). On classroom observations. Manuscript available from the first author (in preparation).Google Scholar
- TeachingWorks project. (2016). High leverage practices. http://www.teachingworks.org/work-of-teaching/high-leverage-practices.