Efforts to enhance anadromous brown trout on Funen, Denmark
- 97 Downloads
The access for anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) to watercourses on Funen was poor due to migratory barriers for upstream moving fish. Since 1990 fish passages have been established at 192 of these obstructions. We investigated the effect of the fish passages on parr abundance (age-0) at 24 obstructions between 1999 and 2008. Parr density increased significantly in stream sections upstream of the fish passage with a typical increase of 200 to 300 % with a maximum of 500 %. Mean parr density increased from 44 to 85 individuals 100 m2 bottom area during the study period in the streams where the fish passages were established. Parr density was unchanged in streams where the migratory barriers remained. Thus, anadromous brown trout populations can be enhanced by the establishment of fish passages in rivers with migratory obstacles, and trout production increased quickly after access to new spawning and nursery areas were opened.
KeywordsFish passages Parr density Brown trout stocks Watercourse restoration
This study was performed as a part of the “Living North Sea” project supported by the Interreg IVB program.
- Elliot JM (1994) Quantitative ecology and the brown trout. Oxford Univ Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Fyn County (2003) Registration of obstacles in Funen streams. In DanishGoogle Scholar
- Geertz-Hansen P (1993) Release plans and their effect. Institut for Ferskvandsfiskeri og Fiskepleje (IFF), Silkeborg, 23 sider. In DanishGoogle Scholar
- Jonsson B, Jonsson, N (2011) Ecology of Atlantic salmon and brown trout: Habitat as a template for life histories. Fish and Fisheries Series 33, Springer Verlag, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Jonsson B, Jonsson N (2013) Naturally and hatchery produced brown trout Salmo trutta: Do their marine survival and dispersal differ ? Submitted to Journal of Coastal ConservationGoogle Scholar
- Madsen BL (1994) Rivers—10 years with the new Watercause act. Miljønyt nr. 10, Miljøstyrelsen, pp 216. In Danish.Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1997) Salmo trutta as an environmental indicator—ten years development in Danish watercourses. Miljønyt nr. 24, 1997, Miljøministeriet. 51 pp. In DanishGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen J (2009) Fish stock and environmental state in Århus River 2009. Report Århus Municipality, Grontmij Carl Bro. In DanishGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen J., Aarestrup, K. & Koed, A (2010) Fauna passage solutions. DTU Aqua, National Institute of Aquatic Resources. 35 pp. In Danish.Google Scholar
- Sivebæk F (2008) Personal comment. Fish consultant, DTU Aqua, National Institute of Aquatic Resources. In DanishGoogle Scholar