New Insights into the Role of Pb-BHA Complexes in the Flotation of Tungsten Minerals
- 162 Downloads
Lead ions (lead nitrate) were introduced to modify the surface properties of tungsten minerals, effectively improving the floatability, with benzohydroxamic acid (BHA) serving as the collector. Flotation tests indicated that Pb-BHA complexes were the active species responsible for flotation of the tungsten minerals. The developed Pb-BHA complexes and the novel flotation process effectively increased the recovery of scheelite and wolframite, simplified the technological process, and led to reduced costs. Fourier transform infrared spectra data showed the presence of adsorbed Pb-BHA complexes on the surface of the minerals. The characteristic peaks of BHA shifted by a considerable extent, indicating that chemical adsorption plays an important role in the flotation process. Zeta potential results confirmed physical adsorption of the positively charged Pb-BHA complexes on the mineral surfaces. The synergistic effect between chemical and physical adsorption facilitated the maximum flotation recovery of scheelite and wolframite.
This work was supported by the Innovation Driven Plan of Central South University (No. 2015CX005), National Natural Science Foundation (No. 51634009), the 111 Project (No. B14034), and Collaborative Innovation Centre for Clean and Efficient Utilization of Strategic Metal Mineral Resources.
- 7.J.F. Oliveira and J.A. Sampaio, Prod. Process. Fine Part. 81, 209 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Sivamohan, Production & Processing of Fine Particles (1988), pp. 337–351.Google Scholar
- 17.X. Zhou and R. Lin, Multipurp. Util. Miner. Resour. 02, 1 (2000).Google Scholar
- 18.Q. Xiao, C. Li, and G. Kang, Min. Metall. 3, 26 (1996).Google Scholar
- 19.M.C. Fuerstenau, Process Fundamentals (2005), pp. 33–55.Google Scholar
- 20.M.C. Fuerstenau, J.D. Miller, R.E. Pray, and B.F. Perinne, Soc. Min. Eng. 235, 359 (1966).Google Scholar
- 21.M.C. Fuerstenau and W.F. Cummins Jr., Int. J. Refract. Met. H. 238, 196 (1967).Google Scholar
- 25.C. Zhong, Y. Gao, X. Qiu, and Q Feng. China Tungsten Ind. 2, 22 (2013).Google Scholar