The Materials Commons: A Collaboration Platform and Information Repository for the Global Materials Community
- 801 Downloads
Accelerating the pace of materials discovery and development requires new approaches and means of collaborating and sharing information. To address this need, we are developing the Materials Commons, a collaboration platform and information repository for use by the structural materials community. The Materials Commons has been designed to be a continuous, seamless part of the scientific workflow process. Researchers upload the results of experiments and computations as they are performed, automatically where possible, along with the provenance information describing the experimental and computational processes. The Materials Commons website provides an easy-to-use interface for uploading and downloading data and data provenance, as well as for searching and sharing data. This paper provides an overview of the Materials Commons. Concepts are also outlined for integrating the Materials Commons with the broader Materials Information Infrastructure that is evolving to support the Materials Genome Initiative.
KeywordsPrecipitate Size Phase Field Simulation Provenance Information Search Index Metadata Schema
This work was supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering under Award #DE-SC0008637 as part of the Center for PRedictive Integrated Structural Materials Science (PRISMS Center) at University of Michigan.
- 1.National Science and Technology Council, “Materials Genome Initiative for Global Competitiveness” (Executive Office of the President, Washington, DC, 2011), http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/materials_genome_initiative-final.pdf. Accessed 1 March 2016.
- 2.D. Apelian, A. Alleyne, C. Handwerker, D. Hopkins, J. Isaacs, G. Olson, R. Vaidyanathan, and S. DeVincent Wolf, “Accelerating Technology Transition: Bridging the Valley of Death for Materials and Processes in Defense Systems” (National Research Council, National Academy Press, 500 Fifth Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20001, 2004).Google Scholar
- 3.R.B. Pipes, R. Abbaschian, E. Antonsson, B. Boardman, T. Considine, J. Dantzig, M. Gersh, G. Gray, E. Holm, D. Koshiba, M. Morgan, and D. Whitney, “Retooling Manufacturing: Bridging Design, Materials and Production” (National Research Council, National Academy Press, 500 Fifth Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20001, 2004).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Pollock, J. Allison, D. Backman, M. Boyce, M. Gersh, E. Holm, R. LeSar, M. Long, A. Powell, J. Schirra, D. Whitis, and C. Woodward, “Integrated Computational Materials Engineering: A Transformational Discipline for Improved Competitiveness and National Security” (National Research Council, The National Academies Press, 500 Fifth Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20001, 2008).Google Scholar
- 5.Materials Commons, https://github.com/materials-commons/materialscommons.org. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 6.PRISMS Center Website: http://prisms-center.org. Accessed March 30, 2016.
- 8.deepstream.io, https://deepstream.io. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 9.NGINX, http://nginx.org/. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 10.OpenResty, https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 11.RethinkDB, http://rethinkdb.com/. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 12.Elasticsearch, https://www.elastic.co/. Accessed 1 February 2016.
- 13.M. Jacobsen, J. Fourman, K. Porter, E. Wirrig, M. Benedict, B. Foster, and C. Wardy, Integrated Manufacturing and Materials Innovations, ed. W. Poole, S. Christensen, S.R. Kalidindi, A. Luo, J.D. Madison, D. Raabe, and X. Sun (Warrendale: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 2015), pp. 285–292.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Dima, S. Bhaskarla, C. Becker, M. Brady, C. Campbell, P. Dessauw, R. Hanisch, U. Kattner, K. Kroenlein, M. Newrock, A. Peskin, R. Plante, S.-Y. Li, P.-F. Rigodiat, G. S. Amaral, Z. Trautt, X. Schmitt, J. Warren, and S. Youssef, JOM (2016). doi: 10.1007/s11837-016-2000-4.
- 15.B. Blaiszik, K. Chard, J. Pruyne, R. Ananthankrishnan, S. Tuecke, and I. Foster, JOM (2016). doi: 10.1007/s11837-016-2001-3.
- 16.Materials Data Facility “Data publication and data discovery”, https://materialsdatafacility.org. Accessed 1 March 2016.