Process Development of Porcelain Ceramic Material with Binder Jetting Process for Dental Applications
- 623 Downloads
Custom ceramic structures possess significant potentials in many applications such as dentistry and aerospace where extreme environments are present. Specifically, highly customized geometries with adequate performance are needed for various dental prostheses applications. This paper demonstrates the development of process and post-process parameters for a dental porcelain ceramic material using binder jetting additive manufacturing (AM). Various process parameters such as binder amount, drying power level, drying time and powder spread speed were studied experimentally for their effect on geometrical and mechanical characteristics of green parts. In addition, the effects of sintering and printing parameters on the qualities of the densified ceramic structures were also investigated experimentally. The results provide insights into the process–property relationships for the binder jetting AM process, and some of the challenges of the process that need to be further characterized for the successful adoption of the binder jetting technology in high quality ceramic fabrications are discussed.
The authors are grateful of the support from Rapid Prototyping Center (RPC) at University of Louisville and ExOne Co. Ltd.
- 1.M.N. Rahaman, Ceramic Processing and Sintering (New York, NY: Marcel Dekker, 1995).Google Scholar
- 2.W.D. Kingery, H.K. Bowen, and D.R. Uhlmann, Introduction to Ceramics, 2nd ed. (New York: Wiley, 1975).Google Scholar
- 4.D.W. Jones, Dent Clin. North Am. 29, 621 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.W.J. O’Brien, Dental Materials: Properties and Selection (Chicago: Quintessence, 1989).Google Scholar
- 11.X. Li, J. Wang, A. Augustine, L.L. Shaw, and H.L. Marcus, in Proc. Solid Freeform Fab. Symp. (2001).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Wang, X. Li, L.L. Shaw, and H.L. Marcus, in Proc. Solid Freeform Fab. Symp. (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.M.L. Schulman, and C. Panzera, Solid free-form fabrication methods for the production of dental restorations, US6808659 B2 (2004).Google Scholar
- 22.B. Utela, R.L. Anderson, and H. Kuhn, in Proc. Solid Freeform Fab. Symp. (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.M.J. Cima, M. Oliveira, H.R. Wang, E. Sachs, and R. Holman, in Proc. Solid Freeform Fab. Symp. (2001)Google Scholar
- 29.S. Hermann, R. Wolfgang, I. Stephan, L. Barbara, and T. Carsten, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B. 74, 782 (2005).Google Scholar
- 30.L. Yang, S. Zhang, G. Oliveira, and B. Stucker, in Proc. Solid Freeform Fab. Symp. (2013)Google Scholar