Influence of Dilute Hf Additions on Precipitation and Martensitic Transformation in Ni-Ti-Pd Alloys
- 185 Downloads
The effect of Hf (0–1 at.%) additions in a Ni-Ti-Pd alloy on P-phase precipitation and martensitic transformations was studied. The addition of hafnium resulted in the refinement of precipitates with an increase in number density. The overlapping strain fields created due to the decrease in inter-precipitate spacing are suspected to reduce the matrix volume to be less than the critical free volume size needed for the martensitic transformation over the temperature range studied (183–573 K). Hafnium was also found to delay the aging time to achieve peak hardness, suggesting a reduction in growth and coarsening kinetics.
KeywordsMartensitic Transformation Shape Memory Transformation Temperature Shape Memory Effect Atom Probe
The authors gratefully acknowledge funding for this research under NASA grant NNX09AO61A and the NASA FAP Aeronautical Sciences Project. This study utilized the Central Analytical Facility (CAF), supported by and located on the campus at The University of Alabama. Special thanks are given to Drs. Justin Brons and Billie Wang, Mr. Nicholas De Leon, and Ms. Suzanne Kornegay for technical assistance.
- 1.K. Otsuka and C.M. Wayman, Shape Memory Materials, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999).Google Scholar
- 2.T.W. Duerig, K.N. Melton, D. Stockel, and C.M. Wayman, Engineering Aspects of Shape Memory Alloys (London: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1990).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Kohl, Shape Memory Microactuators (Berlin: Springer, 2004), pp. 62–95.Google Scholar
- 7.Z. Yang, W. Tirry, and D. Schryvers, Scr. Mater. 52, 1129 (2005).Google Scholar
- 20.Y. Shirakawa, Y. Morizono, and M. Nishida, Mater. Sci. Forum 171, 327 (2000).Google Scholar
- 25.R. Noebe, T. Biles, and S.A. Padula II, Advanced Structural Materials: Properties, Design Optimization, and Applications (Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2007).Google Scholar
- 26.D. Isheim, G. Hsieh, R.D. Noebe, and D.N. Seidman, Solid-Solid Phase Transform. Inorg. Mater. 2, 309 (2005).Google Scholar
- 32.M. Ashby, Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 236, 1395 (1966).Google Scholar
- 33.J.E. Hilliard, Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 224, 906 (1962).Google Scholar