Agomelatine co-crystals with resorcinol and hydroquinone: Preparation and characterization
- 49 Downloads
We prepared and characterized co-crystals of the antidepressant drug agomelatine with pharmaceutically acceptable coformers for enhanced solubility. A novel agomelatine-resorcinol (AGO-RES, 2 : 1) co-crystal was synthesized and its crystal structure was confirmed via single crystal X-ray diffraction. The AGO-RES co-crystal structure was created through the O-H∙∙∙O and N-H∙∙∙O hydrogen bonding between the phenolic OH of RES and the amide group of AGO. The chemical structure of two AGO co-crystals was characterized by FT-IR and Raman spectroscopies, whereas the solution behavior was determined by the intrinsic dissolution rate. When tested in water, both AGORES and AGO-HYQ form-I co-crystals showed higher apparent solubility than pure AGO. But the resulting AGO solution in a supersaturated state partially precipitated into specific crystal forms of AGO. As anticipated, the intrinsic dissolution rate of AGO was substantially enhanced by the co-crystal forms, which signifies that the bioavailability of AGO can be increased via co-crystal formulation approach.
KeywordsCo-crystal Agomelatine Resorcinol Hydroquinone Solubility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. Aitipamula, R. Banerjee, A. K. Bansal, K. Biradha, M. L. Cheney, A. R. Choudhury, G. R. Desiraju, A. G. Dikundwar, R. Dubey, N. Duggirala, P. P. Ghogale, S. Ghosh, P. K. Goswami, N. R. Goud, R. R. K. R. Jetti, P. Karpinski, P. Kaushik, D. Kumar, V. Kumar, B. Moulton, A. Mukherjee, G. Mukherjee, A. S. Myerson, V. Puri, A. Ramanan, T. Rajamannar, C. M. Reddy, N. Rodriguez-Hornedo, R. D. Rogers, T. N. G. Row, P. Sanphui, N. Shan, G. Shete, A. Singh, C. C. Sun, J. A. Swift, R. Thaimattam, T. S. Thakur, R. K. Thaper, S. P. Thomas, S. Tothadi, V. R. Vangala, N. Variankaval, P. Vishweshwar, D. R. Weyna and M. J. Zaworotko, Cryst. Growth Des., 12, 2147 (2012).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.US FDA, Guidance for Industry: Regulatory Classification of Pharmaceutical Co-crystals; http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM516813. pdf (2016).Google Scholar
- 6.US FDA, Guidance for Industry: Regulatory Classification of Pharmaceutical Co-crystals, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM281764. pdf (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.US FDA. Generally Regarded as Safe, http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/GRAS/.Google Scholar
- 8.US FDA. Everything Added to Food Stuff in the United States, http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm115326.htm, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnnavigation.cfm?rpt=eafuslisting.Google Scholar
- 16.VALDOXAN®-Product Information. http://www.guildlink.com.au/gc/ws/servier/pi.cfm?product=sepvaldx.Google Scholar
- 35.G. Socrates. Infrared and Raman characteristic group frequencies: Tables and charts, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York (2001).Google Scholar
- 37.DrugBank-Agomelatine, https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB06594.Google Scholar