Fabrication and modification of polyvinylchloride based heterogeneous cation exchange membranes by simultaneously using Fe-Ni oxide nanoparticles and Ag nanolayer: Physico-chemical and antibacterial characteristics
- 169 Downloads
Polyvinylchloride-blend-styrene butadiene rubber based nanocomposite cation exchange membranes were prepared by solution casting technique. Iron-oxide nanoparticles and Ag-nanolayer were simultaneously utilized as filler and surface modifier in membrane fabrication. The effects of Ag-nanolayer film thickness on membrane physicochemical and antibacterial characteristics of nanocomposite PVC-blend-SBR/Iron-oxide nanoparticles were studied. SEM images showed membrane roughness decreasing by Ag nanolayer thickness increasing. Membrane charge density and selectivity declined by Ag nanolayer coating up to 5 nm in membranes and then showed increasing trend by more nanolayer thickness. Ionic flux also showed increasing trend. Membranes showed good ability in E-Coli removal. 20 nm Ag-nanolayer coated membrane showed better performance compared to others.
Key wordsCation Exchange Membrane Fabrication/Modification Ag Nanolayer/Fe-Ni Oxide Nanoparticles Physico Chemical/Antibacterial Characteristic Synergy Phenomenon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. Hideo, K. Tsuzura and H. Shimizu, Ion exchange membranes, in: K. Dorfner (Ed.), Ion Exchangers, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Strathmann, Electrodialysis and related processes, in: R. D. Nobe, S.A. Stern (Eds.), Membrane Separation Technology-Principles and Applications, Elsevier Science, 214 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Sata, New application of ion-exchange membranes, in: J. Kohovec (Ed.), Macromolecules, VSP, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 451 (1992).Google Scholar
- 20.E. S. Wiks, Industrial Polymers Handbook: Products, Processes, Application, Wiley-VCH Press, Germany (2001).Google Scholar
- 21.J. E. Mark, Polymer Data Handbook, Oxford University Press, New York (1999).Google Scholar
- 22.C. A. Harper, Handbook of Plastic and Elastomers, McGraw-Hill, New York (1975).Google Scholar
- 23.L. Erertovr, Physics of Thin Films, Plenum Press, 2nd Ed. (1986).Google Scholar
- 31.D. R. Lide, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 87th Ed., CRC press, Boca Raton, FL (2006–2007).Google Scholar