Life cycle assessment to evaluate the green house gas emission from oil palm bio-oil based power plant
- 521 Downloads
The objective of this study is to assess the green house gas (GHG) emission for the production of bio-oil from oil palm biomass and its utilization for 10 MW power generation by evaluating the life cycle carbon footprint analysis. The life cycle GHG emission assessment includes four main stages, which cover the oil-palm cultivation, palm oil mill operation, biomass transportation and pyrolysis process for the production of bio-oil and its utilization for 10MW power generation. The results obtained suggest that the palm bio-oil has potential as a carbon neutral renewable energy source in the future. More importantly, it has no negative impact on the environment as the amount of CO2 emitted to the atmosphere during combustion of this fuel is lower than that of the CO2 absorbed from the atmosphere during cultivation stage.
Key wordsLife Cycle Analysis Carbon Footprint Bio-oil Pyrolysis Oil Palm Biomass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.N. Abdullah, F. Sulaiman and H. Gerhauser, J. Phy. Sci., 22, 1 (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.I. E. Henson, MPOB Technol., 31, 1 (2009).Google Scholar
- 10.Map data@2012 Google, http://maps.google.com.my.
- 12.I. E. Henson, MPOB Technol., 27, 1 (2004).Google Scholar
- 17.L. Melling, J.G. Kah, C. Beauvais and R. Hatano, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Tropical Peatland, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, August (2007).Google Scholar
- 19.Y. L. Lee, O. H. Ahmed, N. M. A. Majid and M. B. Jalloh, Am. J. Appl. Sci., 6, 711 (2009).Google Scholar
- 20.H. K. Gibbs, S. Brown, J. O. Niles and J. A. Foley, Environ. Res. Lett., 3, 1748 (2007).Google Scholar
- 21.R. D. Lasco, Sci. China Series C, 55 (2002).Google Scholar
- 22.A. B. Hamdan, D. M. Tayeb and M. A. Tarmizi, Oil Palm Bulletin, 52, 48 (2005).Google Scholar
- 23.E. Lamade, J. P. Bouillet, U. P.R. Cirad-Cp, I. Etp and I. Medan, Lipides, 12, 154 (2005).Google Scholar
- 31.F. Sulaiman, N. Abdullah, H. Gerhauser and A. Shariff, Biomass Bioenergy, 35, 3775 (2011).Google Scholar
- 32.N. R. Menon, Z. A. Rahman and N. A. Bakar, Oil Palm Ind. Econ. J., 3, 15 (2003).Google Scholar