Mass transfer and shear rate in baffled surface aerator
- 127 Downloads
The scale up or scale down of the process variables in a surface aerator requires information about the shear rate prevailing in the system. In fact, the performance of surface aerator depends upon the shear rate. Shear rate affects the mass transfer operation needed by the surface aerator. Theoretical analysis of shear rate suggests a nonlinear behavior with rotational speed of the impeller, which has been shown in the present work. Present work also shows that in a geometrically similar system of baffled surface aerator, shear rate can be used as a governing parameter for scaling up or down the mass transfer phenomena.
Key wordsMass Transfer Rate Mixing Power Number Shear Rate Surface Aeration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.W. S. Hu and D. I. C. Wang, Mammalian cell culture technology: A review from an engineering perspective. In: Mammalian Cell Technology, Ed. W.G. Thilly, pp. 167–197, Butterworths Publishing Company (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.B. Metz, N.W. F. Kossen and J. C. Suijdam, Adv. Biochem. Eng., 11, 103 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.S. Nagata, Mixing Principles and applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA (1975).Google Scholar
- 13.J. H. Rushton, E.W. Costich and H. J. Everett, Chem. Eng. Prog., 46, 395 (1950).Google Scholar
- 14.J. H. Rushton, E.W. Costich and H. J. Everett, Chem. Eng. Prog., 46, 467 (1950).Google Scholar
- 18.K. Myers, J. Fasano and A. Bakker, Gas dispersion using mixed high-efficiency/disc impeller systems, Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Mixing, 64–72. Institution of Chemical Engineers, London (1994).Google Scholar
- 19.H. Wu, Chem. Eng. Sci., 50, 280l (1995).Google Scholar
- 20.A. R. K. Rao and S. Jyothish, Oxygen transfer in circular surface aeration tanks with and without baffles, in International Conference on Industrial Pollution and Control Technologies, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad, India, 17–19 November (1997).Google Scholar
- 22.W. E. F. and A. S. C. E. Manual of practice for water pollution control, Aeration a waste water treatment process. Water Environment Federation, Alexandria, Va., and ASCE, New York (1988).Google Scholar
- 23.K. Liu and K. Neeld, Simulation of Mixing and Heat Transfer in Stirred Tanks with VisiMix® Solutia Inc., Topical Conference on Process Development from Research to Manufacturing: Industrial Mixing and Scale-up, AIChE Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX (1999).Google Scholar