Seafloor asymmetry in the Atlantic Ocean
- 48 Downloads
Measurements of seafloor asymmetry at about 360000 pairs of conjugate points along 1250 profiles across the mid-Atlantic Ridge (MAR) provide new constraints on models for the upwelling of the buoyant asthenosphere. The sign and amplitude of the asymmetry vary systematically and are functions of the distance between the spreading center and the location of the inferred location of maximum regional buoyancy (LMRB) in the asthenosphere. The LMRB is a smooth line derived from the observed asymmetry and is more centered at the regional topographic high than the spreading center. These observations are best explained by active upwelling of the underlying buoyant asthenosphere rather than by pressure-release melting.
Key wordsseafloor topography seafloor asymmetry mid-ocean ridges Atlantic Ocean
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cochran, J. R., 1986. Variations in subsidence rates along intermediate and fast spreading mid-ocean ridges. Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc, 87: 421–454.Google Scholar
- Grand, S. P., van der R. D. Hilst, and S. Widiyantoro, 1997. Global seismic topography: a snapshot of convection in the Earth. GSA Today, 7: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Hess, H.H., 1962. History of ocean basins. In: Petrologic Studies: A Volume to Honor A. F. Buddington. A. E. J. Engel, et al., eds., Geological Society of America, New York, 599–620.Google Scholar
- Holmes, A., 1931. Radioactivity and earth movements. Trans. Geol. Soc, Glasgow, 18: 559–606.Google Scholar
- Kane, K.A., and D.E. Hayes, 1992. Tectonic corridors in the South Atlantic: Evidence for long-lived mid-ocean ridge segmentation. J. Geophys. Res., 97: 17317–17330.Google Scholar
- Oxburgh, E. R., and E. M. Parmentier, 1977. Compositional and density stratification in oceanic lithosphere: Causes and consequences. J. Geol. Soc. London, 133: 343–355.Google Scholar
- Parsons, B., and J. G. Sclater, 1977. An analysis of the variation of ocean floor bathymetry and heat flow with age. J. Geophys. Res., 82(B5): 803–827.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. H. F., and D. T. Sandwell, 1997. Global sea-floor topography from satellite altimetry and ship depth soundings. Science, 277: 1957–1962.Google Scholar
- Turcotte, D.L., and G. Schubert, 2002. Geodynamics. 2nd edition. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 456pp.Google Scholar