How to write a 21st century proof
- 560 Downloads
In addition to developing the students’ intuition about the beautiful concepts of analysis, it is surely equally important to persuade them that precision and rigor are neither deterrents to intuition, nor ends in themselves, but the natural medium in which to formulate and think about mathematical questions.
Michael Spivak, Calculus 
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)03B35 03F07
KeywordsStructured proofs teaching proofs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. L. Kelley, General Topology. The Univesity Series in Higher Mathematics, D. Van Nostrand Company, Princeton, NJ, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Lamport, TLA—temporal logic of actions. A web page, a link to which can be found at URL http://lamport.org. The page can also be found by searching the Web for the 21-letter string formed by concatenating uid and lamporttlahomepage.
- 4.L. Lamport, Useful LaTeX packages. http://research.microsoft.com/enus/um/people/lamport/latex/latex.html. The page can also be found by searching the Web for the 23-letter string formed by concatenating uid and lamportlatexpackages.
- 5.L. Lamport, How to write a proof. In: Global Analysis in Modern Mathematics, pp. 311–321. Publish or Perish, Houston, Texas, 1993. A symposium in honor of Richard Palais’ sixtieth birthday. Also published in Amer. Math. Monthly 102 (1995), no. 7, 600–608.Google Scholar
- 6.Microsoft Research-INRIA Joint Centre. Tools and methodologies for formal specifications and for proofs. http://www.msr-inria.inria.fr/Projects/tools-forformal-specs.