Elasticity under pressure and thermal property of Mg2La from first-principles calculations
- 58 Downloads
The elastic properties, thermodynamic and electronic structures of Mg2La were investigated by using first-principles. The calculated results show that pressure affects the elastic constants of C 11 more than that of C 12 and C 44. Specifically, higher pressure leads to greater bulk modulus (B), shear modulus (G), and elastic modulus (E). We predict B/G and anisotropy factor A based on the calculated elastic constants. The Debye temperature also increases with increasing pressure. Based on the quasi-harmonic Debye model, we examined the thermodynamic properties. These properties include the normalized volume (V/V 0), bulk modulus (B), heat capacity (C v), thermal expansion coefficient (α), and Debye temperature (Θ). Finally, the electronic structures associated with the density of states (DOS) and Mulliken population are analyzed.
Key wordsfirst-principles elastic properties thermodynamics properties electronic structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BLAWERT C, HORTN, KAINERK U. Automotive applications of magnesium and its alloys [J]. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, 2004, 57(4): 397–408.Google Scholar
- CHEN Qiu-yun, TAN Shi-yong, LAI Xin-chun. First-principles study of the elastic constants and optical properties of uranium metal [J]. Chin Phys B, 2012, 21(8): 1–8.Google Scholar
- CHEN Qiang, HUANG Zhi-wei, ZHAO Zu-de. First principles study on elastic properties, thermodynamics and electronic structural of AB2 type phases in magnesium alloy [J]. Solid State Communications, 2013, 162(2): 1–7.Google Scholar
- SEGALL M D, LINDAN PHILIP J D, PROBERT M J, PICKARD C J, HASNIP P J, CLARK S J, PAYNE M C. First-principles simulation: Ideas, illustrations and the CASTEP code [J]. Physical, 2002, 14: 2717–2744.Google Scholar
- PACK J D, MONKHORST H J. Special points for Brillouin-zone integrations a reply [J]. Physical Review B, 1977, 16(12): 5188–5192.Google Scholar
- NYLEN J. Structural relationships, phase stability and bonding of compounds PdSnn(n=2, 3, 4) [J]. Cheminform, 2004, 6(1): 147–155.Google Scholar
- LU Jian-min, HU Qing-miao, YANG Rui. A comparative study of elastic constants of NiTi and NiAl alloys from first-principle calculations [J]. J Mater Sci Technol, 2009, 25(2): 215–218.Google Scholar
- WANG Chen-ju, GU Jian-bing, KUANG Xiao-yu. Accurate calculations of the high-pressure elastic constants based on the firstprinciples [J]. Chin Phys B, 2015, 24(8): 1–6.Google Scholar
- WANG Jing-yang, ZHOU Yan-chun. Dependence of elastic stiffness on electronic band structure of nanolaminate M2AlC (M=Ti,V,Nb, and Cr) ceramics [J]. Physical ReviewB, 2004, 69(21): 1681–1685.Google Scholar
- WU Zhi-jian, ZHAO Er-jun, XIANG, MENG Jian. Crystal structures and elastic properties of superhard IrN2 and IrN3 from first principles [J]. Physical Review B, 2007, 76(5): 15–29.Google Scholar