Application of nano silica to improve self-healing of asphalt mixes
- 87 Downloads
Nano silica due to its spherical shape, tiny size and higher density compared to bitumen, may have an inherent potential to improve hot mix asphalt (HMA) self-healing. In this research scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images were used to investigate size, morphology and dispersion of nano silica particles. Additionally, HMA self-healing mechanism was also examined by SEM. Furthermore, dynamic indirect tensile test (IDT) was used to evaluate HMA self-healing index. The SEM results indicated that bitumen mortar flowing into micro cracks may be one of the most important mechanisms of HMA self-healing. The experiment results also showed that modification of bitumen by nano silica promotes the ability of the HMA self-healing.
Key wordsnano silica healing index Taguchi method hot mix asphalt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LU X. Investigation of the fracture healing and mechanism of asphalt binders [D]. Pullman: Washington State University, 2013.Google Scholar
- BHASIN A, PARTHASARTHY A S, LITTLE D N. Laboratory investigation of a novel method to accelerate healing in asphalt mixtures using thermal treatment [R]. Southwest Region University Transportation Center, Center for Transpotation Reserch, University of Texas at Austin, 2009.Google Scholar
- KRINGOS N, SCHMETS A, SCARPAS A, PAULI T. Towards an understanding of the self-healing capacity of asphaltic mixtures [J]. Heron, 2011, 56(1,2): 45–74.Google Scholar
- LITTLE D N, BHASIN A. Exploring mechanism of healing in asphalt mixtures and quantifying its impact, in self healing materials [M]//van der ZWAAG S. An Alternative Approach to 20 Centuries of Materials Science. Dordrecht: Springer, 2007: 205–218.Google Scholar
- QIU J. Self healing of asphalt mixtures: Towards a better understanding of the mechanism [D]. TU Delft: Delft University of Technology, 2012.Google Scholar
- PARTL M N, GUBLER R, HUGENER M. Nano-science and -technology for asphalt pavements [M]. The Royal Society of Chemistry, 2004: 343–355.Google Scholar
- MOJTABA G, MORTEZA M S, MAJID T, JALAL K R, REZA T. Modification of stone matrix asphalt with nano-SiO2 [J]. J Basic Appl Sci Res, 2012, 2(2): 1338–1344.Google Scholar
- ROQUE R, SIMMS R, CHEN Y, KOH C, LOPP G. Development of a test method that will allow evaluation and quantification of the effects of healing on asphalt mixture [R]. Department of Cicil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida, 2012.Google Scholar
- LU S N, XIE N, FENG L C, ZHONG J. Applications of nano structured carbon materials in constructions: The state of the art [J]. J Nano Materials, 2015, 2015: 807416.Google Scholar