Improved phase estimation based on complete bispectrum and modified group delay
In this paper, a new method for extracting the system phase from the bispectrum of the system output has been proposed. This is based on the complete bispectral data computed in the frequency domain and modified group delay. The frequency domain bispectrum computation improves the frequency resolution and the modified group delay reduces the variance preserving the frequency resolution. The use of full bispectral data also reduces the variance as it is used for averaging. For the proposed method at a signal to noise ratio of 5dB, the reduction in root mean square error is in the range of 1.5–7 times over the other methods considered.
KeywordsBispectrum Modified group delay Non-minimum phase system identification Phase estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Nikias C.L. and Petropulu A.P. (1993). Higher Order Spectral Analysis: A Non-linear Signal Processing Framework. Signal Processing Series. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs Google Scholar
- 8.Yegnanarayana B., Saikia D.K. and Krishnan T.R. (1984). Significance of group delay functions in signal reconstruction from spectral magnitude or phase. IEEE Trans. ASSP 32(3): 610–623 Google Scholar
- 9.Nikias, C.L., Mendel, J.M.: Signal processing with higher order spectra. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. pp. 10–37, July (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Benveniste, M.G., Ruget, G.: Robust identification of non- minimum phase system: Blind adjustment of linear equalizer in data communications. IEE Trans. Automat. Control, AC-25 (June), pp. 385–398 (1980)Google Scholar
- 13.Oppenheim A.V., Hayes M.H. and Lim J.S. (1982). Iterative procedures for signal reconstruction from Fourier Transform phase. Opt. Eng. 21(February): 122–127 Google Scholar
- 14.Subba Rao, T., Gabbar, M.M.: An introduction to bispectral analysis and bilinear time series models. In: Brillinger D.R. et al. (eds.) Lecture Notes on Statistics, vol. 24, Springer, Berlin (1984)Google Scholar
- 15.Yegnanarayana: Speech analysis by pole-zero decomposition of short time spectra. Signal Process. 17, 141–150 (1989)Google Scholar
- 16.Yamani: Flaw impulse response estimation in ultrasonic non-destructive evolution using bi-cepstra. NDT&E Int. vol. 40, pp. 57–61 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Hazarathaiah, M., Narasimhan, S.V.: Phase estimation based on bispectrum and modified group delay. In: Signal Processing and Communication (SPCOM 2001), Bangalore, Organized by the IEEE Signal Processing Society, Bangalore ChapterGoogle Scholar
- 18.Narasimhan S.V. and Giridhar P.V.S. (2000). Improved system blind identification based on second order cyclostatinary statistics: A group delay approach. Academy Proc. Eng. Sci. SADHANA 25(122): 85–96 Google Scholar
- 20.Petropulu, A.P., Abeyratne, U.R.: System reconstruction from higher order spectra slices. IEEE Trans. Signal Process. 45(9) (1997)Google Scholar