Quantitative stability of linear infinite inequality systems under block perturbations with applications to convex systems
- 92 Downloads
The original motivation for this paper was to provide an efficient quantitative analysis of convex infinite (or semi-infinite) inequality systems whose decision variables run over general infinite-dimensional (resp. finite-dimensional) Banach spaces and that are indexed by an arbitrary fixed set J. Parameter perturbations on the right-hand side of the inequalities are required to be merely bounded, and thus the natural parameter space is l∞(J). Our basic strategy consists of linearizing the parameterized convex system via splitting convex inequalities into linear ones by using the Fenchel–Legendre conjugate. This approach yields that arbitrary bounded right-hand side perturbations of the convex system turn on constant-by-blocks perturbations in the linearized system. Based on advanced variational analysis, we derive a precise formula for computing the exact Lipschitzian bound of the feasible solution map of block-perturbed linear systems, which involves only the system’s data, and then show that this exact bound agrees with the coderivative norm of the aforementioned mapping. In this way we extend to the convex setting the results of Cánovas et al. (SIAM J. Optim. 20, 1504–1526, 2009) developed for arbitrary perturbations with no block structure in the linear framework under the boundedness assumption on the system’s coefficients. The latter boundedness assumption is removed in this paper when the decision space is reflexive. The last section provides the aimed application to the convex case.
KeywordsSemi-infinite and infinite programming Parametric optimization Variational analysis Convex infinite inequality systems Quantitative stability Lipschitzian bounds Generalized differentiation Coderivatives Block perturbations
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)90C34 90C25 49J52 49J53 65F22
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cánovas MJ, López MA, Mordukhovich BS, Parra J (2010b) Quantitative stability and optimality conditions in convex semi-infinite and infinite programming, Research Report 14, Department of Mathematics, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI Google Scholar
- Cánovas MJ, López MA, Parra J, Toledo FJ (2011) Distance to ill-posedness for linear inequality systems under block perturbations. Convex and infinite dimensional cases. Optimization 60(7). doi:10.1080/02331934.2011.606624
- Deville R, Godefroy G, Zizler V (1993) Smoothness and renormings in Banach spaces. Longman, Harlow Google Scholar
- Dinh N, Goberna MA, López MA (2006) From linear to convex systems: Consistency, Farkas’ lemma and applications. J Convex Anal 13:279–290 Google Scholar
- Dunford N, Schwartz JT (1988) Linear operators Part I: General theory. Wiley, New York Google Scholar
- Goberna MA, López MA (1998) Linear semi-infinite optimization. Wiley, Chichester Google Scholar
- Ioffe AD (2010) On stability of solutions to systems of convex inequalities. Centre de Recerca Matemàtica, Preprint #984, November Google Scholar
- Mordukhovich BS (2006) Variational analysis and generalized differentiation, I: Basic theory, II: Applications. Springer, Berlin Google Scholar