On internally corrected and symmetrized kernel estimators for nonparametric regression
- 107 Downloads
We investigate the properties of a kernel-type multivariate regression estimator first proposed by Mack and Müller (Sankhya 51:59–72, 1989) in the context of univariate derivative estimation. Our proposed procedure, unlike theirs, assumes that bandwidths of the same order are used throughout; this gives more realistic asymptotics for the estimation of the function itself but makes the asymptotic distribution more complicated. We also propose a modification of this estimator that has a symmetric smoother matrix, which makes it admissible, unlike some other common regression estimators. We compare the performance of the estimators in a Monte Carlo experiment.
KeywordsMultivariate regression Smoothing matrix Symmetry
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)62G08 62G20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gasser T, Müller HG (1979) Kernel estimation of regression functions. In: Smoothing techniques for curve estimation, 1st edn. Lecture notes in mathematics, vol 757. Springer, New York, pp 23–68 Google Scholar
- Johnston GJ (1979) Smooth nonparametric regression analysis. PhD dissertation, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Google Scholar
- Ker AP (2004) Nonparametric estimation of possibly similar densities. Cardon Research paper 2004-06 Google Scholar
- Pagan A, Ullah A (1999) Nonparametric econometrics, 1st edn. Themes in modern econometrics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Google Scholar
- Press WH, Teukolsky SA, Vetterling WT, Flannery BP (1992) Numerical recipes in C: the art of scientific computing, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Google Scholar