Resection of intra-pulmonary endometriosis by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery under pre-operative CT-guided marking synchronized with menstrual cycle
- 37 Downloads
A 37-year-old woman experienced repeated catamenial hemoptysis. She had a history of intrauterine curettage. Computed tomography (CT) showed ground glass opacity (GGO) in the right upper lung lobe. We suspected pulmonary endometriosis and scheduled surgery coincides with her menstrual cycle. Then she underwent surgical resection after pre-operative CT-guided marking of the pulmonary endometrial lesion. A yellowish change of the pleura was observed near the marking and the lesion was resected using video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Histopathologically, endometrial glands and intimal interstitium were evident. She has no symptoms 2.5 years after surgery. In this case, scheduling the surgery at the time of her menstrual period and video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) after CT-guided marking facilitated effective resection.
KeywordsIntra pulmonary endometriosis Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery CT-guided marking Menstrual cycle
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Ogawa H, Nakayama T, Doi H, Manabe K, Sakaguchi A. A case of pulmonary parenchymal endometriosis. Jpn J Chest Surg. 2005;43:165–70.Google Scholar
- 4.Ueno H, Mukae H, Taniguchi H, Maki H, Ashitani J, Ihi T, et al. Pulmonary endometriosis with recurrent catamenial hemoptysis. Jpn J Thorac Dis. 1995;33:888–93.Google Scholar
- 5.Matsumoto K, Sasaki H, Shinozuka M, Tajima T, Yabana H, Hachiya H. A case of pulmonary endometriosis. Obstet Gynecol. 1982;9:1471–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Miura G, Okita I, Eguchi S, Nakamura H, Moritani K, Higashi Y, et al. A case of bronchial endometriosis. J Jpn Soc Respir Endosc. 1989;11:70–5.Google Scholar
- 9.Katoh T, Sano M, Iwata M. Pulmonary endometriosis with recurrent catamenial hemoptysis. JJSRE. 2007;29:353–7.Google Scholar
- 10.Takaishi K, Honda H, Miyoshi J, Tashiro H, Ohba T, Katabuchi H, et al. Two cases of pulmonary endometriosis with pregnancy and childbirth. J Endometr. 2008;29:133–6.Google Scholar
- 11.Ohshio Y, Asakura S, Ichinose M. Case of cavitary pulmonary endometriosis with catamenial hemoptysis. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2010;34:181–91.Google Scholar
- 12.Itoh M, Sobajima T. A case of catamenial hemoptysis treated with video-assisted thoracic surgery. Jpn J Chest Dis. 2011;70:1182–5.Google Scholar