Generalized Method to Quantify Glycidol Fatty Acid Esters in Edible Oils
We previously reported a method to quantify five species of glycidol fatty acid esters (GEs) in edible oils which used a combination of a double solid-phase extraction (SPE) and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) using fast HPLC. To expand its application, we established a new method using conventional HPLC, which is applicable not only to liquid oils but also to solid ones. The optimized LC-MS conditions using conventional HPLC were useful for standard GEs but not for oil samples because of the insufficient accuracy during sequential runs. Thin-layer chromatographic studies revealed that co-existing diacylglycerols were not sufficiently removed by the original SPE procedure due to excessive amounts of oil applied to the normal-phase SPE, which disturbed the quantitative and stable detection only when conventional HPLC was employed. The amount of oil applied was decreased tenfold (100 mg → 10 mg), which resulted in stable LC-MS measurements. Furthermore, the use of chloroform/acetone, instead of acetonitrile, prior to the SPE treatment expanded its applicability to solid oils, with recovery values ranging from 102.7 to 109.5% for three oil samples (two liquid and one solid oils). This method can form the basis of a standardized method for the quality control of GEs in edible oils.
KeywordsGlycidol fatty acid ester Quantification LC-MS TLC Solid edible oil
- 2.Divinova V, Svejkovska B, Dolezal M, Velisek J (2004) Determination of free and bound 3-chloropropane-1, 2-diol by gas chromatography with mass spectrometric detection using deuterated 3-chloropropane-1, 2-diol as internal standard. Czech J Food Sci 22:182–189Google Scholar
- 6.Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) (accessed Dec. 2009) Initial evaluation of the assessment of levels of glycidol fatty acid esters detected in refined vegetable fats (in German). http://www.bfr.bund.de/cm/208/erste_einschaetzung_von_glycidol_fettsaeureestern.pdf
- 7.Deutsche Gesellschaft für Fettwissenschaft e.V. (accessed Dec 2009) DGF Standard Methods C III 18 (09): Ester-bound 3-chloropropane-1,2-diol (3-MCPD esters) and glycidol (glycidyl esters). Determination in fats and oils by GC-MS. http://www.dgfett.de/methods/c-iii_18%20_09_e14.pdf
- 8.Masukawa Y, Shiro H, Nakamura S, Kondo N, Jin N, Suzuki N, Ooi N, Kudo N (2010) A new analytical method for the quantification of glycidol fatty acid esters in edible oils. J Oleo Sci 59:81–88Google Scholar
- 9.International Conference on Harmonization Expert Working Group (accessed Dec 2009). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, current step 4 version. http://www.pmda.go.jp/ich/q/q2r2_97_10_28e.pdf