Properties of Ethoxylated Castor Oil Acid Methyl Esters Prepared by Ethoxylation over an Alkaline Catalyst
- 343 Downloads
The synthesis and properties of ethoxylated castor oil acid methyl esters (ECAME) were investigated. Ethylene oxide (EO) can react directly with the ester group and hydroxyl group of castor oil acid methyl esters in the presence of an alkaline catalyst. ECAME with different average EO adduct numbers were synthesized and, through testing the degree of EO addition, it was found that only a few EO moieties (2–4) inserted into the hydroxyl group. In addition, the physicochemical properties of ECAME were studied. ECAME can be used as nonionic surfactants with good properties.
KeywordsEthoxylated castor oil acid methyl esters Ethylene oxide EO adduct position Surface tension Nonionic surfactant
The authors acknowledge the financial support by the National Science and Technology Support Project of International (No. 2013DFA42120), International Science and Technology Cooperative Project of Shanxi Province (No. 2013081019), and Natural Science and Technology Support Project of China (No. 2012BAD32B10).
- 1.Sun YQ, Luo Y, Zhang GY, Tian CH, Liu GY, Zhang W (2003) A kind of catalyst for ethoxylation and its application. CN Patent 1451476AGoogle Scholar
- 3.Li DZ, Sun YQ, Yang XQ, Luo Y, Tian CH (2005) Detection of ethylene oxide distribution in ethoxylated castor oil acid methyl esters. China Surfactant Deterg Cosmet 35:327–330Google Scholar
- 9.Luo Y, Sun YQ, Tian CH, Liu GY, Zhang W (2001) Physical and chemical properties research of ethoxylated fatty methyl esters. China Surfactant Deterg Cosmet 5:5–7Google Scholar
- 10.Ma LJ, Zhou MX, Feng Y (2004) Analysis of fatty acid methyl ester ethoxylates by gas chromatography. Chin J Chromatogr 22:84–86Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang J, Shi DL, Gong XL, Zhu FM, Du M (2013) Inhibition performance of novel dissymmetric bisquaternary ammonium salt with an imidazoline ring and an ester group. J Surfact Deterg 16:3515–3522Google Scholar