Quick start-up of EGSB reactor treating fresh leachate of municipal solid waste
- 33 Downloads
An expanded granular sludge bed (EGSB) reactor inoculated with anaerobic granular sludge was started up with its COD removal performance, self-balancing of pH, biogas production rate and characteristics of the granular sludge during the start-up period being investigated. The results indicated that the EGSB reactor can be started up successfully in 27 d by increasing the organic loading rate rapidly. The removal efficiency of COD was maintained above 93% with influent COD concentration of 25 000 mg/L and OLR of 37.94 kgCOD/(m3·d). The EGSB reactor with good pH self-balancing could be fed with fresh leachate of low pH value (4–5). The biogas production rate was closely related with OLR and COD reduction. Every gram of COD fed (consumed) to the reactor produced 0.34 LSTP (0.36 LSTP) biogas with 0.21 LSTP (0.23 LSTP) methane. Thus, 65%–70% of the produced biogas was methane. Sixty one percentage of COD fed to the reactor was converted to methane, another 33% was converted to biomass by metabolism, and the other 6% was left in the liquid phase. The specific methanogenic activity (SMA) of the granular sludge had increased by 92% after 27 d dynamic incubation. The granular sludge in the reactor had good settlement performance with majority diameter of 1–2 mm.
Keywordsexpanded granular sludge bed (EGSB) reactor municipal solid waste fresh leachate start-up biogas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Liu Guo-qiang, Fang Fang, Guo Jin-song, Zhang Xiao-wei, Gong Lu. Seasonal variation of water quality of landfill and incineration leachates in Three Gorges Area [J]. Research of Environmental Sciences, 2008, 21(4): 43–47 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang Jin-song, Hu Yong-you. Mechanism of anaerobic granulation enhancement with bio-flocculant [J]. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 2005, 25(3): 361–366 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hou Yong-you, Zeng Ke, Cai Fa-qi. Effects of different kinds of sludge on start-up of IC reactor in treatment of soybean protein wastewater [J]. IndustrialWater and Wastewater, 2007, 3(6): 41–45 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li Jin, Zuo Jian-e, Xing Wei. Performance and microbial characteristics of an EGSB reactor treating brew ery wastewater under 20 °C [J]. Environmental Science, 2008, 29(4): 990–995 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- He Yan-Ling. Anaerobic wastewater treatment [M]. Beijing: China Light Industry Press, 1999 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Tay J H, Tay S T L, Liu Y. Biogranulation technologies for wastewater treatment [M]. UK: Elsevier Publication, 2006.Google Scholar
- Liu Yong-hong, He Yan-ling, Li Yao-zhong, Yang Shucheng. The settling characteristics and terminal velocity of granular sludge in UASB reactor [J]. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 2005, 25(2): 176–179 (in Chinese).Google Scholar