Characterization of ERF76 promoter cloned from Populus simonii × P. nigra
- 244 Downloads
The poplar transcription factor ERF76 gene is salt-inducible and plays an important role in regulating stress-related genes. To understand the regulatory mechanisms of ERF76 gene, the 1537-bp upstream DNA sequence of ERF76 gene was cloned from di-haploid Populus simonii × P. nigra. Sequence analysis indicated that the fragment contains a series of regulatory elements related to defense and stress responsiveness. The protein–DNA interaction assay indicated that the sequence interacted with proteins involved in oxidoreductase activity and plant defense and stress response. Biological evidence from promoter segmentation and deletion analysis demonstrated that the promoter segments in different length possess different transcriptional activity and respond to salt stress differentially in transgenic Arabidopsis. The characterization of ERF76 promoter provides mechanistic understanding of ERF76 gene in salt stress responses.
KeywordsPoplar Promoter Protein–DNA interactions Salt stress cis-Elements
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31570659) and the 111 project (B16010).
- Bhullar S, Chakravarthy S, Advani S, Datta S, Pental D, Burma PK (2003) Strategies for development of functionally equivalent promoters with minimum sequence homology for transgene expression in plants: cis-elements in a novel DNA context versus domain swapping. Plant Physiol 132:988–998CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Li ZM, Yang YJ, Yang F et al (2010) Cloning of LeGRP2 promoter from tomato that shows root-specific expression in Arabidopsis. Sci Agric Sin 43:1877–1882Google Scholar
- Sawant SV, Kiran K, Mehrotra R, Chaturvedi CP, Ansari SA, Singh P, Tuli R (2005) A variety of synergistic and antagonistic interactions mediated by cis-acting DNA motifs regulate gene expression in plant cells and modulate stability of the transcription complex formed on a basal promoter. J Exp Bot 56:2345–2353CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tran LSP, Nakashima K, Sakuma Y, Simpson SD, Fujita Y, Maruyama K, Kazuo S, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2004) Isolation and functional analysis of Arabidopsis stress-inducible NAC transcription factors that bind to a drought-responsive cis-element in the early responsive to dehydration stress 1 promoter. Plant Cell 16:2481–2498CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhang J, Zhang X, Wang Y, Hou H, Qian Y (2012) Characterization of sequence elements from malvastrum yellow vein betasatellite regulating promoter activity and DNA replication. Virol J 9:598–604Google Scholar