Development of an optimal culture system for callogenesis of Chrysanthemum indicum protoplasts
- 254 Downloads
This study is a comparison of four methods to induce calli formation in a protoplast culture of Chrysanthemum indicum. Culture in liquid medium (17.6 calli/105 protoplasts) was preferable to culture in solid agarose beads, although the efficiency of the latter could be improved by layering them on glass beads (12.5 vs. 0.83 calli/105 protoplasts). Culture of protoplasts on moistened filter paper was unsuccessful. In the liquid media, microcalli and calli were induced efficiently and easily after 6 weeks. These effects may be explained by reduced toxicity due to cell breakdown and improved aeration.
KeywordsAeration In vitro Liquid medium Microcalli Regeneration
The authors wish to thank Ronald Van Den Oord for his technical assistance.
- Amagasa K, Kameya T (1989) Plant regeneration and callus formation from Chrysanthemum morifolium, C. coronarium and Lactuca sativa protoplasts. J Japan Soc Hort Sci 57:620–625Google Scholar
- Eeckhaut T, Van Laere K, De Riek J, Van Huylenbroeck J (2006) Overcoming interspecific barriers in ornamental plant breeding. In: Teixeira da Silva J (ed) Floriculture, ornamental and plant biotechnology: advances and topical issues, 1st edn. Global Science Books, London, pp 540–551Google Scholar
- Endo M, Fujii N, Fujita S, Inada I (1997) Improvement of plating efficiency on the mesophyll protoplast culture of Chrysanthemum, dendranthema × grandiflorum (Ram.) Kitam. Plant Biotechnol 14:81–83Google Scholar
- Fujii Y, Shimizu K (1990) Callus formation from mesophyll protoplasts of pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum coccineum). Plant Tissue Cult Lett 7:111–113Google Scholar
- Furuta H, Shinoyama H, Nomura Y, Maeda M, Makara K (2004) Production of intergeneric somatic hybrids of chrysanthemum [Dendranthema × grandiflorum (Ramat.) Kitamura] and wormwood (Artemisia sieversiana J.F.Ehrh. ex. Willd) with rust (Puccinia horiana Henning) resistance by electrofusion of protoplasts. Plant Sci 166:695–702CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Okamura M, Hayashi T, Miyazaki S (1984) Inhibiting effect of ammonium ion in protoplast culture of some Asteraceae plants. Plant Cell Physiol 25:281–286Google Scholar