PolyACO+: a multi-level polygon-based ant colony optimisation classifier
Ant colony optimisation (ACO) for classification has mostly been limited to rule-based approaches where artificial ants walk on datasets in order to extract rules from the trends in the data, and hybrid approaches which attempt to boost the performance of existing classifiers through guided feature reductions or parameter optimisations. A recent notable example that is distinct from the mainstream approaches is PolyACO, which is a proof-of-concept polygon-based classifier that resorts to ACO as a technique to create multi-edged polygons as class separators. Despite possessing some promise, PolyACO has some significant limitations, most notably, the fact of supporting classification of only two classes, including two features per class. This paper introduces PolyACO+, which is an extension of PolyACO in three significant ways: (1) PolyACO+ supports classifying multiple classes, (2) PolyACO+ supports polygons in multiple dimensions enabling classification with more than two features, and (3) PolyACO+ substantially reduces the training time compared to PolyACO by using the concept of multi-levelling. This paper empirically demonstrates that these updates improve the algorithm to such a degree that it becomes comparable to state-of-the-art techniques such as SVM, neural networks, and AntMiner+.
KeywordsAnt colony optimisation Classification Polygon Multi-levelling
The authors would like to thank the editor and anonymous referees for their unusually meticulous review and valuable comments to improve the quality of this paper.
- Abadeh, M. S., Habibi, J., Soroush, E. (2008). Induction of fuzzy classification systems via evolutionary ACO-based algorithms. In First Asia international conference on modelling & simulation, 2007. AMS’07. (pp. 346–351). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Caruana, R., Karampatziakis, N., & Yessenalina, A. (2008) An empirical evaluation of supervised learning in high dimensions. In W. Cohen, A. McCallum & S. Roweis (Eds.), Proceedings of the 25th international conference on machine learning (pp. 96–193). ACM.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, M., & Yazidi, A. (2016). Ant colony optimisation-based classification using two-dimensional polygons. In M. Dorigo, M. Birattari, X. Li, M. Lòpez-Ibáñez, K. Ohkura, C. Pinciroli & T. Stüzle (Eds.), International conference on swarm intelligence (Proceedings ANTS-2016), Lecture notes in computers science (Vol. 9882, pp. 53–64). Springer.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, M., Yazidi, A., & Møller, T. (2016). Distributed learning automata for solving a classification task. In 2016 IEEE congress on evolutionary computation (CEC) (pp. 3999–4006). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Jun-Zhong, J., Zhang, H. X., Ren-Bing, H., & Chun-Nian, L. (2009). A Bayesian network learning algorithm based on independence test and ant colony optimization. Acta Automatica Sinica, 35(3), 281–288.Google Scholar
- Lian, T. A., Llave, M. R., Goodwin, M., & Bouhmala, N. (2015). Towards multilevel ant colony optimisation for the Euclidean symmetric traveling salesman problem. In M. Ali , Y. Kwon, C. H. Lee, J. Kim, & Y. Kim (Eds.), Current approaches in applied artificial intelligence (Proceedings IEA/AIE 2015), Lecture notes in computer science (Vol. 9101, pp. 222–231). Springer.Google Scholar
- Lichman, M. (2013). UCI machine learning repository. http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml. Accessed 11 Nov 2017.
- Liu, B., Abbas, H., & McKay, B. (2003). Classification rule discovery with ant colony optimization. In IEEE/WIC international conference on intelligent agent technology, 2003. IAT 2003 (pp. 83–88). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Ryoo, S., Rodrigues, C. I., Baghsorkhi, S. S., Stone, S. S., Kirk, D. B., & Hwu, W. W. (2008). Optimization principles and application performance evaluation of a multithreaded GPU using CUDA. In Proceedings of the 13th ACM SIGPLAN symposium on principles and practice of parallel programming (pp. 73–82). ACM.Google Scholar
- Salama, K. M., & Abdelbar, A. M. (2016). Using Ant Colony Optimization to build cluster-based classification systems. In M. Dorigo, M. Birattari, X. Li, M. Lòpez-Ibáñez, K. Ohkura, C. Pinciroli & T. Stüzle (Eds.), International conference on swarm intelligence (Proceedings ANTS-2016), Lecture notes in computers science (Vol. 9882, pp. 210–222). Springer.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S., Ghosh, S., Anantharaman, N., & Jayaraman, V. K. (2012). Simultaneous informative gene extraction and cancer classification using ACO-AntMiner and ACO-Random forests. In S. C. Satapathy, P. S. Avadhani, & A. Abraham (Eds.), Proceedings of the international conference on information systems design and intelligent applications 2012 (INDIA 2012) Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing (Vol. 132, pp. 755–761). Springer.Google Scholar
- Tripathy, S., Hota, S., & Satapathy, P. (2013). MTACO-Miner: Modified threshold ant colony optimization miner for classification rule mining. In: N. R. Shetty, N. H. Prasad, & N. Nalini (Eds.), International conference on emerging research in computing, information, communication and applications (pp. 529–534). Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Tufteland, T., Desneltvedt, G., & Goodwin, M. (2016). Optimizing PolyACO training with GPU-based parallelization. In: M. Dorigo, M. Birattari, X. Li, M. Lòpez-Ibáñez, K. Ohkura, C. Pinciroli, & T. Stüzle (Eds.), International conference on swarm intelligence (Proceedings ANTS-2016), Lecture notes in computers science (Vol. 9882, pp. 233–240). Springer.Google Scholar