Advanced cement based nanocomposites reinforced with MWCNTs and CNFs
Cementitious materials reinforced with well dispersed multiwall carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) and carbon nanofibers (CNFs) at the nanoscale were fabricated and tested. The MWCNTs and CNFs were dispersed by the application of ultrasonic energy and the use of a superplasticizer. Mechanical and fracture properties including flexural strength, Young’s modulus, flexural and fracture toughness were measured and compared with similarly processed reference cement based mixes without the nano-reinforcement. The MWCNTs and CNFs reinforced mortars exhibited superior properties demonstrated by a significant improvement in flexural strength (106%), Young’s modulus (95%), flexural toughness (105%), effective crack length (30%) and fracture toughness (120%).
Keywordsmulti-walled carbon nanotubes carbon nanofibers mortars toughness Young’s modulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Shah S P, Konsta-Gdoutos M S, Metaxa Z S. Highly Dispersed Carbon Nanotube-Reinforced Cement-Based Materials. US Patent, WO/2009/099640, 2009Google Scholar
- 3.Hersam MC, Seo J-W T, Shah S P, Konsta-Gdoutos MS, Metaxa Z S. Highly Concentrated Carbon Nanotube Suspensions for Cementitious Materials and Method of Reinforcing Such Materials. US Patent, US8865107 B2 and US201200428 06 A1, 2014Google Scholar
- 5.Metaxa Z S, Konsta-Gdoutos M S, Shah S P. Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Concrete, ACI Special Publication on Nanotechnology of Concrete. The Next Big Thing is Small, 2009, 267, 11–20Google Scholar
- 6.Shah S P, Konsta-Gdoutos M S, Metaxa Z S. Exploration of Fracture Characteristics, Nanoscale Properties and Nanostructure of Cementitious Matrices with Carbon Nanotubes and Carbon Nanofibers. Seoul: Korea Concrete Institute, 2010Google Scholar
- 14.Esmaeili J, Mohammadjafari A R. Increasing flexural strength and toughness of cement mortar using multi-walled Carbon nanotubes. International Journal of Nano Dimention, 2014, 5: 399–407Google Scholar
- 17.Chen Y L, Liu B, He X Q, Huang Y, Hwang, K C. Failure analysis and the optimal toughness design of carbon nanotube-reinforced composites Comp. Sciences et Techniques (Paris), 2010, 70: 1360–1367Google Scholar