Gold nanoparticles: sonocatalytic synthesis using ethanolic extract of Andrographis paniculata and functionalization with polycaprolactone-gelatin composites
Gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) were synthesized by sonication using ethanolic leaf extract of Andrographis paniculata. We investigated the optimum parameters for AuNP synthesis and functionalization with polycaprolactone-gelatin (PCL-GL) composites. The AuNPs were characterized with various biophysical techniques such as TEM, XRD, FT-IR and EDX spectroscopy. TEM images showed that nanoparticles were spherical in shape with a size range from 5 to 75 nm. EDX analysis revealed the presence of molecular oxygen and carbon on the surface of AuNPs. The synthesized AuNPs were tested for their effect on HeLa (human cervical cancer) and MCF-7 (human breast cancer) cell lines and found to be nontoxic and biocompatible, which are potential carriers for hydrophobic drugs.
Keywordssonocatalasis Andrographis paniculata functionalization crystal growth biomaterial PCL-GL composite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Madav S, Tandan S K, Lal J, et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of andrographolide. Fitoterapia, 1996, 67(5): 452–458Google Scholar
- Ahmad M, Asmawi M Z. Some pharmacological effects of aqueous extract of Andrographis paniculata Nees. In: Gan E K, ed. The International Conference on the Use of’ Traditional Medicine & Other Natural Products in Health Care (Abstract). Penang, Malaysia: School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Science Malaysia, 1993Google Scholar
- Kirtikar K R, Basu B D. Indian medicinal plants. Periodical Experts, 1975, 3: 1884–1886Google Scholar
- Nazimudeen S K, Ramaswamy S, Kameswaran L. Effect of Andrographis paniculata on snake venom induced death and its mechanism. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1978, 40(4): 132–133Google Scholar
- Sahoo R, Sahoo S, Sahoo S, et al. Synthesis and characterization of polycaprolactone-gelatin nanocomposites for control release anticancer drug paclitaxel. European Journal of Scientific Research, 2011, 48(3): 527–537Google Scholar