Towards modeling popularity of microblogs
- 357 Downloads
As one kind of social media, microblogs are widely used for sensing the real-world. The popularity of microblogs is an important measurement for evaluation of the influencial of pieces of information. The models and modeling techniques for popularity of microblogs are studied in this paper. A huge data set based on Sina Weibo, one of the most popular microblogging services, is used in the study. First, two different types of popularity, namely number of retweets and number of possible views are defined, while their relationships are discussed. Then, the temporal dynamics, including lifecycles and tipping-points, of tweets’ popularity are studied. For modeling the temporal dynamics, a piecewise sigmoid model is used. Empirical studies show the effectiveness of our modeling methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Grodzins M. The metropolitan area as a racial problem. University of Pittsburgh Press, 1969Google Scholar
- 5.De Tarde G. The laws of imitation. H. Holt, 1903Google Scholar
- 7.Rogers E. Diffusion of innovations. Simon and Schuster, 1995Google Scholar
- 10.Yu L, Asur S, Huberman B. What trends in chinese social media. arXiv preprint. arXiv:1107.3522, 2011Google Scholar
- 11.Yang J, Leskovec J. Modeling information diffusion in implicit networks. In: Proceedings the 10th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining. 2010, 599–608Google Scholar
- 14.Qiu T, Ge Z, Lee S, Wang J, Zhao Q, Xu J. Modeling channel popularity dynamics in a large IPTV system. In: Proceedings of the 11th International joint Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems. 2009, 275–286Google Scholar
- 15.Bandari R, Asur S, Huberman B A. The pulse of news in social media: Forecasting popularity. CoRR, 2012, abs/1202.0332Google Scholar
- 17.Liu Z, Liu L, Li H. Determinants of information retweeting in microblogging. Internet Research, 2012, 22(4): 443–466Google Scholar
- 18.Suh B, Hong L, Pirolli P, Chi E H. Want to be retweeted? large scale analytics on factors impacting retweet in twitter network. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Social Computing. 2010, 177–184Google Scholar
- 19.Yang J, Counts S. Predicting the speed, scale, and range of information diffusion in twitter. In: Proceedings of the 4th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media. 2010Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang L, Peng T, Zhang Y, Wang X. Content or context: which carries more weight in predicting popularity of tweets in china. In: Proceedings of the 65th Annual Conference of World Association for Public Opinion Research. 2012Google Scholar
- 23.Tumasjan A, Sprenger T O, Sandner P G, Welpe I M. Predicting elections with twitter: what 140 characters reveal about political sentiment. In: Proceedings of the 4th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media. 2010, 178–185Google Scholar